The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is this enough light?

984 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Timmy!! 
#1 · (Edited)

I am planning out a high tech, high light setup and was considering purchasing this light. Will it cut it? I don't have a plant list as of yet but I am new to the high tech and high light realm. I've always done minimal things with my tanks and grew downoi like crazy in a 10g with just Flourish and 6400k bulbs. I am also trying to keep my budget on the lower side so any cheaper fixtures that will cut it for me would be great.

Thanks,
Ox.

#5 ·
So OK then are you putting this over your 10g tank...LOL...tank size for a better
reply including dimensions if rimless.
That fixture should be enough on a tank 12" front to back and at least 18" tall.
Less height and/or not using injected CO2 will result in algae.
If you have a 40B tank this will be on it needs injected CO2 or wall to wall plants in it
to keep out the algae completely. Probably will work better if suspended about20" above the sub.
That is a basic answer. Many factors do contribute.

#7 ·
Rotala, Camoba, Ludwigia are some of the faster growing plants that if you have
enough of them that light should work well in there with the injected CO2.
It will give you the full 30" of coverage that 24" fluorescent won't.
It hasn't been out long enough to get much feed back on use in various tanks yet.
Without the injected CO2, the regular Planted+ does give some a hard time in a 55g
tank which is 21" tall. But this fixture doesn't run at full power all of the day.

#9 ·
Considering the sunblaster is a single t5 I would definitely look at something with more output if high light is your goal. The planted plus 24/7 seems like a good light but probably still not a very high light fixture. I have 3 of the other models of finnex lights but not the 24/7 so couldn't tell you for sure. Personally, I'd be looking at the ray2 or current satellite plus pro. I have the ray2 on a now high tech tank and I love it. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.