The Planted Tank Forum banner

What kind of ram should I get?

467 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  WaterLife 
#1 ·
If you have seen my other threads about my krib and dwarf gourami, i am getting rid of them both. My LFS has a 50% sale this weekend and they have a bunch of fish, i plan to get SAE, and a pair of some kind of ram, they have electric blue, german blue, german gold, and bolivian rams. I want one of them, but i dont know which type is good for a first-time ram keeper.

#3 ·
I've only had German rams, but I've heard people say Bolivians are a little more aggressive at times and a bit more active. Bolivians maybe a tad bit bigger too? But then I have also heard the opposite, I don't know which is true. But my Germans have been peaceful.

Germans are supposedly more sensitive due to the mass breeding (without enough variation of healthy genes) resulting in weaker genes/fish. And I would think Electric and Gold rams would be even more weaker as they are more selective bred (usually inbred) to achieve their coloration. So I would say Bolivians would be hardier (vs WILD caught German rams, it might be a tie). I personally think Germans color up better so there is a trade off (I probably just haven't seen top condition Bolivians).

Both prefer warmer water so keep that in mind.

Apistogramma are another common "centerpiece" fish, don't know too much about those though, but they get quite a bit bigger and I think are meaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.