Pressurized CO2 without a diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Pressurized CO2 without a diffuser

I am about to flood my emersed setup but I might have to wait a week or two for the diffuser to ship. Would it be effective if I fed my CO2 airline directly inside of my canister filter's output tube?

I figured that the CO2 bubbles would immediately collide with the incoming water and be diffused on contact.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
Not a good idea as only a small part would actually dissolve. You could make a temporary diffuser by forcing the CO2 through a piece of chop-stick cut at both ends.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
It would also build up on the canister and the impeller would run dry.
Some cotton in the end of the airline in the tank would help, but waiting is best
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Algae Grower
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
It would also build up on the canister and the impeller would run dry.
Do you mean if you put it in the intake line? Original poster mentioned outtake line, I assumed it wouldn't affect the filter at all this way.

Milwaukee, WI
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Wannabe Guru
I feed my co2 into my canister intake. I don't see any problems with it. Can't hurt for a week or two at least.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Plant Clown
You could stick the tubing into the intake of a HOB or a powerhead. Failing that, wooden chopstick, cotton, cigarette filter, directly into the end of the CO2 tubing.

Not sure how you would do what you suggested with the outflow tube from the canister, but if you can pull that off, sure. None of what's been mentioned is going to do any harm to anything, as long as you introduce the CO2 *after* the pump in the canister.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
I used to run my CO2 into the filter intake. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the intake tube. (I used a foam prefilter, which kept the CO2 in the intake tube.) It worked very well. Better than my diffuser, and with much less maintenance.

I had an Eheim, and CO2 never built up inside. However, some people reported having trouble with CO2 building up in their filters; they would "burp" occasionally. I seem to recall Fluval being much complained about in this respect, though this was years ago and it might be different now.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru
Try any of these simple, less efficient ways.
This will allow a slower build up of CO2 so the fish can get used to it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Algae Grower
I had mine running that way for about 7 problems. diffusion was good actually. The only downside was the occasional noises coming form the filter as it would build up and then blow out, but that wasn't really a problem, just noisy.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
I could hear the sound of my impeller chopping the bubbles when I hooked it into my 10 gallon HOB filter. Crappy filter? Maybe. Could also be the size that matters. But that's just my input on this situation. If it's temporary, then I guess it wouldn't really matter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode