The Planted Tank Forum banner

Little Brown Worms in Tank

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TheDoofWarrior 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been setting up a new tank. No fish in it yet, but today while doing a water change (driftwood staining water still), I noticed a significant number of little brown worms. They mainly seem to be on the driftwood.

Can anyone identify what these are? Whether they're harmful? Will fish eat them when I stock the tank? I'll attach some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality, but they're pretty small and hard to focus on.

Thanks

Edit: sorry, I guess the big pictures got automatically cropped. Can only see a worm on the first one. Let me know if it's too hard to see, and I'll go and edit the pictures on my computer.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Drowning nematodes?

#5 ·
Yeah it's all new. Bunch of plants too. Ive been picking out the worms best I can with some tweezers and it looks to me like they're actually brown because they're eating the wood or something on it. It looks like the may be clear and only getting colored from the wood but I cant be sure. There were a couple worms on plants but most were on the wood.

Either way they seem to have decresead significantly these past couple days. Or at least I cant find as many. This evening I could only find one, but then I've also doubled the amount of plants in there. Might have laid eggs and died. But I'll hope for the best.

I know most likely they're not harmful and once stocked with fish they'll get eaten anyways. But wanted to make sure.

Thanks

#7 ·
Thanks. They seem to be gone. Or maybe buried in substrate, but I can't find anymore. Which is a relief because for first couple days they were multiplying rapidly. I took some tweezers and removed like 20 a day. Will definitely keep that medication in mind if they reemerge. Appreciate the tip though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.