The Planted Tank Forum banner

Whaaat fryyyy!!!??!!!??!!!??!!!

855 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  WaterLife 
#1 · (Edited)
So almost two weeks ago i took down my 46gal and replaced your with a 56gal. In the process I decided that it would be easier to not have to worry about my fish, so I gave them to a LFS. So now it gets weird, in my fishless tank I noticed FRY!!! Before I gave the fish away I put them in a 10gal tote with some java fern, so I suppose the quick change could have prompted spawning? Or maybe they had been spawning for a while, and the eggs\fry just kept getting eaten. I have no idea what they are? The fish I had were, boesemani and praecox rainbows and congo and serpae tetras. I've never cared for fry before, so I don't know what to do. I crushed up some flake food, but I haven't seen them eat it. I took some pics but they're very tiny so it didn't come out well, so I drew a picture.

#2 ·
Haha nice drawing. I don't know the species, but congrats!

I too recently just transferred my smaller community tank (CPDs, dwarf chain loaches, corys, guppies) into a larger one and found a sole surviving Celestial Pearl Danio fry!! (Yes all the adults are alive, just 1 fry). I always saw the fish spawning, but had no idea there was any fry. I am sure there have been a ton of eggs/fry, but they got eaten by the other fish. But still excited to know the fish were happy to breed.

For all fry, its rather the same, just feed tiny food (protein packed preferred). Baby brine shrimp eggs, hikari first bites, golden pearls, most powder fish food, etc. You can super finely crush the flakes. Some tiny live worms. Repashy gel food. Even a sponge filter that collected enough food on it is a good source food. You could even hard boil an egg (chicken egg) and crush up the yolk into a powder and toss a bit in for the fry to eat. A little goes a long way for such tiny bellies.

#5 · (Edited)
So this is an update. They have been growing good. I only have two, I assume I had more and they just didn't make it. I've been feeding them crushed up flake food and blood worms, but today was the first time I actually saw them eat, so, YAY!
\(OoO)/
Any hoo how, I still don't know what they are? Ideas anyone? This is a new pic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.