The Planted Tank Forum banner

Before using Purigen...

10K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Tihsho 
#1 ·
Is there anything I need to know before using Purigen in my canister filter? In other words, does it affect any of the water parameters and is there anything I need to do to prep Purigen other than sticking it in the filter (it came w/ the bag)?

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lol I doubt my tank will be closely as advanced once yours is set up. That HOB sump thread has my head spinning. Heheh Just curious to try it out. In all of my yrs of having tanks I've never tried it so I figured hey, why not?

Thanks, everyone!

Sold. Where do I put it in the canister filter? After the biofilter, before the mechanical polishing pads?

I've read that most people put it after the mechanical polishing; it's the last stage in the filter.

#12 ·
I generally place it at the easiest spot to get to. In a sump I put it on top as it was easiest to get to. In canisters I generally put it in the first compartment. The Eheim I'm using for the first time on my project feeds bottom up, so it will be the last item before the water gets back to the tank. Why? Because I can crack open the canister and swap these out without having to pull the media basket out and I can swap Purigen in without having to tear into the media basket basically forcing me to clean a canister when I might not even need to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.