The Planted Tank Forum banner

Why do i need to soak purigen in buffer?

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mattinmd 
#1 ·
I know that bleach has a high ph and the buffer lowers it, but couldn't I just soak the purigen in ro or tank water to help lower the ph, and if there is no bleach in it it after a dechlorinator soak why would the oh still be an issue?

#2 · (Edited)
Bleach technically has only temporary effects on pH. It temporarily raises the pH and after the chlorine starts to evap it goes back down. Personally, I don't 'buffer' purigen post a bleach soak, just go through and either let it soak in clean water for 24 hours or in most cases place in a gallon or so of water and over dose Prime to detox the chlorine.

Where did you read to buffer the tank? I've not had to do this?

#6 ·
As I understand it, from reading Seachem's support forums, they initially added the suggestion to buffer after some tanks experienced pH spikes (high pH) with regenerated Purigen...

However, they later found that the actual culprit was the chlorine in common bleach products had increased. After increasing the suggested dose of prime, the pH buffering wasn't really necessary anymore..

That said, they still keep the suggestion around, and it is probably a good idea if you are using very low KH water that can be easily swayed...

Post #3 is of interest in this thread:

Purigen Question(s) - Seachem Support Forums

and the Seachem post at the end here is of interest:

Regenerated Purigen Causes pH Crash - Seachem Support Forums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.