The Planted Tank Forum banner

Petco arc 6.25, awesome little bowfront!

15K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  fhcastillo 
#1 · (Edited)
The other day i was in petco looking for a little nano tank to do something cool with. I ran across this petco brand 6.25 gallon rimless bowfront, about 80 dollars for a rimless tank with a light and internal filter isnt too bad, especially for as good as the tank itself looks. So i took it home and got to work:) i had a pretty plain scape with with a valley narrowing through the center just to add a little depth, however the box just made it look extremely narrow. The whole idea of this tank was to have something fairly contemporary looking but extremely low tech, so not much equipment, low light, no co2 (maybe a little excel) but nothing more than a cool decoration that all i have to really do is change water on.

With that in mind i was basically stuck with that big internal box that created dead spots in the corners, or my old aquaclear mini...it was a pretty obvious choice;)

It looks like the pic in the title didnt post right Aquarium decor Pet supply Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant Fish supply

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

Great! None of the pics posted! Every time with tapatalk...

Fluid Liquid Glass Transparent material Majorelle blue
Glass Liquid Transparent material Aquarium Gas
Light Electricity Transparent material Gas Electrical supply

Cleaning the tank

Blue Majorelle blue Electric blue Cobalt blue Pet supply
Electricity Majorelle blue Cable Electrical supply Scale
Pet supply Cobalt blue Majorelle blue Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium

Base layer, aquasoil and hardscape

Aquarium decor Pet supply Freshwater aquarium Fish supply Natural material
Home accessories Light fixture Lighting accessory
Organism World Darkness Majorelle blue Aquarium decor
Aquarium decor Pet supply Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant Fish supply

Planting and filling

See less See more
#2 ·
nice work!

I never thought of removing the filter box....I might have to consider this.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
View attachment 513129
Box was removed, one glass baffle left

View attachment 513137
Cleaning off the silicone

View attachment 513145
Bam! Spotless! This is a pretty nice little tank:)

The box was previously full of well cycled bio max, which i crushed up to have more surface area in the little aquaclear. The light is staying for now, and even though it looks so dull that you couldnt even keep java moss alive, my buces and anubias have been thriving! Plus its very sleek and out of the way

Back to the scape...
View attachment 513153
I used cycled eco complete as a kind of powersand, this will seed the substrate with bacteria, and keep compaction down on the bottom. Eco complete is inert, so its essentially the same as powersand, only cheaper...being cycled is a plus too

Electricity Majorelle blue Cable Electrical supply Scale

Base layer of aquasoil amazonia down

Display case Aquarium decor Pet supply Freshwater aquarium Transparent material

I used a rock that ive found locally, its volcanic but i cant remember the name. This rock reminds me of the sato akadama stone because of how red it is... And my all time favorite nano scape is james findleys red rock nano scape where he used a huge piece of the red stone that came out of the water and just made a powerful impression. So if my scape looks familiar its because i basically copied it to an extent, so i take no credit for the hardscape;)

Pet supply Cobalt blue Majorelle blue Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium

Backfilled with a little more aquasoil

View attachment 513185
Starting the planting. I will be using a lot of anubias nana in the rock, with a few bucephalandra species i had for another tank. The background is mainly java fern, needle leaf java fern, windevlov java fern, blobitis heudelotii, bolbitis mini, and a few other larger anubias species...i want to keep this low maintenence so low light and slow growers are the main focus

View attachment 513193
Starting to fill, i use paper towels so i dont make chocolate milk;)

View attachment 513201
View attachment 513209
Finally a full tank and its done for the night...i used the small pump from the original filter box as a circulation pump in the front...i always keep the majority of flow across the front glass where there arent many taller plants. My only inhabitants are some amano shimp, a bumble bee goby, an oto, and a pretty cool little big ear halfmoon plakat betta...ill probably throw some more bumble bee gobies in when i find some more, theyre kind of entertaining to watch:)

Its the second day and the same post...im following the 50 percent waterchange everyday on the first week, every second day on the second week and so on up to 4 weeks rule and ive done my first waterchange...i also added some pennywort to carpet in the front. Im not sure yet if i will have enough light but it should be fine so long as everything stays consistent. So much for the minimalist tank, i had a 5lb co2 tank laying around and i couldnt help myself. But its still pretty low tech ( only a bubble every 4 seconds) just for lack of bio load. I'm excited to see how this tank develops and ill post regular updates on it!

I tried to fix the original post but I'm still not sure if they posted correctly...either way they're all there even if they're in separate messages;)

#5 ·
Well the leds just werent doing it for me, i wanted something that looked a little closer to daylight...i had a small pc fixture laying around, it was really bulky so i stripped it down and have made a sort of skeleton of an ada solar mini type fixture. Right now the bulb and reflector are taped to the bars to hold it in place while i test it

Im going to make a round cover like a solar mini for the top so it will clamp the bars and give me a little more adjustment...then obviously use some longer wires and finish everything out

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks! have to admit, i havent had this much fun with a tank in a while

Update on my ada-ish light!

Pet supply Aquarium decor Fish supply Freshwater aquarium Food storage containers
Organism Aquarium decor Pet supply Freshwater aquarium Fish supply

Ive made a hood from an old sheet of aluminum, obviously it still needs body filler, primer, and paint, but you can at least get an idea of how it will look. I also added more wire so i can hide it, probably just zip tied to one of the small bars holding the bulb. i really wanted to keep the stock light but it just wouldnt have been enough to get a decent carpet, this should look clean enough to not be an eyesore when its all finished though...and i do think fluorescents grow plants better than leds...dont get me wrong, im a huge fan of leds, and ive have them on every one of my tanks but this one. But in my experience you just dont get the same growth with comparable lights, so im excited to go "old school" in that aspect:)

#8 ·
Update on the betta house! I still havent finished the light fixture, maybe this weekend...but i did drain it down to almost nothing and do a little rescape on the right side...the pennywort had started filling in, and i really wanted the carpet to go around the side towards the back. So i took out the next to last rock on the right side and moved the long one on the far right inwards, then added aquasoil to the slope and made substrate supports from black plastic to hold the scape in place Green Pet supply Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Freshwater aquarium

#10 ·
I wanted to clean up the look of everything tonight so I did a little rearranging

I moved the filter and diffuser to the right side, I was able to turn the flow up on the filter and do away with the little power head, and the co2 is almost right under the outlet of the filter so it's diffusing very well. I also cleaned up the layout a bit, first I trimmed some of the longer pieces of penny wort to start filling in some of the bare spots, then I consolidated almost all of the Anubis nana to the back to get it off of the face of the main stone, and I moved the buces to the bottom in the shaded area, they tend to do better in shade anyway, at least the ones I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited)
I did a little more rearranging last night, they had some micranthemum Monte Carlo at the Lfs and it makes such gorgeous carpets I had to get some, so the penny wort stayed in the back behind the anubias and the whole carpet was replaced with the micranthemum.

This is right after planting

I should also add, I'm dosing flourish and excel, also bumped the co2 up to a bubble every two seconds...I'm slowly abandoning the idea of low tech on this one, but I'll get over it;)

Quick shot after the water cleared up

#14 ·
Well the betta house has been running for about 5 weeks now, and I'm starting to see a lot of new growth (mostly in the last week) it's finally come into balance where the dust algae is slowing considerably

The micranthemum has only been in for about two weeks and you can see a considerable amount of melting in the old growth, but there's an equal amount of new growth. I don't want to trim it yet because I want to give it time to put out a strong root base first. Also the bucephalandra in the second photo has a lot of old growth that's rotting and melting but there are several new leaves that have come out in the last week, since it's only been in that location for a couple weeks I'll do the same and let it anchor to the rocks before I start pruning it

The anubias in the first photo had hardly any melting (just some algae on the oldest leaves) but it's had some very good growth, I've already pruned the oldest leaves once. The big cluster in the second photo I got a few days ago, I've gone a little anubias crazy in this tank but they're doing very well and I love the look of large groups of them
and a full tank shot. I moved a couple weeks ago so I had some substrate shift and some micranthemum uproot but it's had some good progress since then, considering this tank (for a relatively low tech tank) is still running on 10x the co2 and 3x the watts per gallon as the 75 gallon had with considerably more nutrients dosed per gallon

#16 ·
I've had a pretty cool thing happen in the tank, at least cool to me...when I was starting up planted tanks again in the beginning of the year, one of the first things I looked to put in were ramshorn snails as part of the cleanup crew. Turns out the new ower of the Lfs keeps loaches or assassin snails in every tank that's had plants in it...every time I'm in there I look for a pink or gold ramshorn that might've made it there somehow with no luck at all. My tanks were getting trumpet snails so I've kept assassins in them, when I put a couple of nerites in the betta house I took out the assassin. So for the past few weeks he hasn't been in there, a few days later I noticed some baby snails all over the glass, no clue what type. So tonight I'm looking around in the tank and here's what I see
ramshorns! No clue what type but there isn't a single adult ramshorn at that store! Pretty cool little surprise...shortly after I noticed them I got a text from Ian Malcolm that said "told you so" ;)

#17 ·
The betta house has a stock change, now I'll have to think of a new name, maybe project alpha;). the betta was healthy but he didn't like the flow, he spent most of his time on the filter intake. The bubbles were also making the tank look really bad, some were from co2 but he made piles of them as well. So I took him out and got some fish a little more suited to it
i put in 8 ember tetras, they do blend in with the rock some, but I'm thinking they will color up over time. And I'm pretty limited on stock for a tank this small
i also added a couple black tiger shrimp and a ninja shrimp, the ninja was the only one at the store so he just threw it in. Couldn't find him to get a pic though.
and a full tank shot. The other night the power flickered for about a half second but it was enough to reset my timer, because I was lazy I didn't program it again and fell asleep on the couch without turning the light off, and somehow the co2 solenoid stuck off, so by the time I noticed, it had run two days without it, on top of about a 24 hour photoperiod. That resulted in bba on the rocks and a few anubias leaves. I've clipped off the leaves with bba, and scrubbed what I could with a toothbrush before an 80 percent wc. I tapered off of excel about two weeks ago, so I did a heavy dose and will taper down over the next week or so, and spot treat with h2o2 as needed, but it's been receding so far, other than that the plants are looking healthy and the micranthemum has been steadily spreading with only a little of the melted old growth on the right side...and stay tuned because I'll be starting a way nicer (slightly larger) high tech nano in the next few weeks and I'll be doing a complete build thread, starting from scratch with the stand and everything:)

#19 ·
I cut a piece of foam filter to sit in the bottom of the basket and wring it out when I clean the tank...other than that i just have a bag of crushed up bio max, it's pour us as is but in 1/4" pieces there's a ton of surface area

#27 ·
Another update. I've added a mini canister (zoomed 501) and put the tiny power head back into the corner behind the anubias...with the growth behind the rock I was starting to have some flow issues, which should be fixed now
you can probably tell there's some new additions in the back right corner...they aren't staying;) I'm just using that corner as a makeshift nursery for a few plants that are going into the new build, and it was the perfect spot because the aqua clear created sort of a dead spot there so the micranthemum died off there, one more reason for going with a mini canister and power head:) other than that spot the carpet is growing slowly and steadily, it's been a few weeks now and it almost all new growth. There's still some old yellowed, melting growth hanging on but it disappears little by little every day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.