The Planted Tank Forum banner

Does anyone have a planted brackish tank? Info?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  colleen 
#1 ·
I did a search and found some nice plants for a brackish enviroment but would love some more info.

thinking of turning my 70? acrilic (ex reef) into one

Any info greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Hi!
I don't know how helpful this will be, but I just got my latest issue of the Drs. Foster & Smith aquarium catalog (catalog #K=1485/1001), and there is a brief "article" about brackish tanks. To paraphrase the article, here are a few pointers:
-Water conditions can vary (because they do in natural brackish environments), but a range of 70-86 degrees F, pH of 7.2-8.3, and a specific gravity (a measure of the amount of salt in the water, I think) of 1.006-1.015 is best.
-Some of the best brackish fish are: black mollies, mono argentus, green scat, archer fish, and the figure 8 puffer.
-Having live plants in a brackish tank might be challenging, but not impossible. Brackish fish prefer lots of water movement (not good for most plants), and they are often herbivores.
-Drs. Foster & Smith suggest that the best way to be successful with a brackish planted tank is to start out with a regular freshwater planted tank. After the plants have become well established, gradually increase the salinity of the water (over several weeks), and use a hygrometer or refractometer to check the salinity level.
-Some of the best, and hardiest plants for a brackish tank include anacharis, anubias, hornwort, java fern, and water sprite.

Hope this helps!
-Christina

#3 ·
thanks for the info wonder woman and thanks for taking the time to look it up and copy it.

since the post I did a web search and now I am pretty bummed.

I checked drsF&S in regards to their brackish fish but they didn't seem to have a diverse supply. Mostly livebearers. But I have a 200 that I was planning on doing with them so what would be the diff. Know what I mean? I was hoping for something different,I guess. Gobies and cool inverts and PUFFERS but it seems that the brackish puffers are only in brackish when they are babies. Then they grow up to become holy terrors and need a saltwater tank. Probably all to themselves.

Its pretty cool that those plants can survive that much salt.

thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.