The Planted Tank Forum banner

no cover on tank

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Crs2fr 
#1 ·
not sure if this is the right place but here we go anyway. i am about to plant a 75 gallon tank. im going to be getting a 4 foot 4 bulb tek light to hang over the top. i was wondering what you guys do when you hang the light over the top. do you use a glass top? do you just leave it open? if you leave it open how fast does the water evaporate from the tank? is there anything else i should know about hanging a light above an open tank?

thanks for the help.

#2 ·
After one of my fish burnt itself by jumping on the CFL light, i have placed an acrylic sheet over the tank. The reason i dint use glass was because i keep moving the acrylic sheet during feeding and regular maintainance and it does not break when i accidentally drop it. I'm quite clumsy

#10 ·
i've had jumpers... lost a few SAE's.... feeders... i had my freshwater flounder jump out, ... .. but i love the open lid look~... i use a tunze auto top off system... i keep a 5gal bucket underneith.. it will top off when it gets to low.. i dont have to top off at all~.. its love!

chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.