The Planted Tank Forum banner

what is a really good canister filter

3K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  Windsor777 
#1 ·
What is a really good and reliable canister filter for a 55 gallon aquarium?

#32 ·
I have a Eheim g160 on my 4 foot 55 and a 2217 on my 3 foot 50 gallon love them both the newer model is easier to clean and has more output, 263 gph compared to 330 gph for the g160.

Both tanks have a Koralia 350 gph power head

Also have a 2026, 2028, 2215, fx5, 405. All my eheims are quieter than my fluvals, but I have had no problem with any of them.

Put a little Vaseline on the rubber washer at the top of the canister when you service them.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/eheim-2075-canister-filter.html

#34 ·
Correct. Like dissolves like. For rubber o-rings (which are made of plastic), Vaseline will cause deterioration, so a silicon lubricant is needed.

For silicon o-rings, the opposite: you want to use Vaseline or other petroleum based substances, as a silicon lube will break down the silicon o-ring.

This is common knowledge among underwater photographers like myself. We deal with a variety of o-ring equipped seals on a regular basis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.