Plant shipping revisited *again* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Plant shipping revisited *again*

Below are some pics of a friend of mine who has received plants (Pogo Stellatus & HC) from one particular member who keeps on packing the plants INCORRECTLY even though it was suggested how to do it right. But not only did the seller pack it incorrectly AGAIN, he added an icepack to it as well because he thought it was the heat the first time around.

What you see below is what happens to plants when you wrap them up in too much paper towel and pour water into the bag....it will turn to MUSH.

The seller replied to my friend that it was the heat that caused it, but my question to him is why did it happen to the shipmemt that had the ice pack??? All that is needed in the zip lock back is enough moisture to keep the plants from drying out, you are not shipping fish, so we do not need to add water guys .

Making the paper towel waterlogged adds mass which causes more movement of the plant as it bounces within the ziplock bag when thrown....this is something you do not want to happen either. This is the reason when I pack I fold my zip lock in such a way as to prevent movement. See my feedback on shipping, it's like that because I put effort into shipping, something most fail to do just as the seller who sent the plants below did.

There are numerous threads on how to pack and ship plants well, so I suggest that anyone who decides sell should take the time and read those threads before having to put someone through your lack of experience.

BTW the seller did try to make it right by sending more plants, but whats the use if more (cooler) mush is sent..... I think a refund is in order.

The Junkie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

a way to think about this is that plants can survive in 90 degree weather EMERSED, but will die in 90 degree water SUBMERSED. Put any plant in water that hot and it will die....taking the unneeded water out of the equation and putting them essentially in a 'emersed' condition with just enough water to keep the humidity up during transit (which is very little) and you'll have packages that arrive with no problems every time.

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Algae Grower

YIKES! I wouldn't pay money for THAT. Sorry to hear about it though, I hope everything gets worked out for you.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooha
a way to think about this is that plants can survive in 90 degree weather EMERSED, but will die in 90 degree water SUBMERSED. Put any plant in water that hot and it will die....taking the unneeded water out of the equation and putting them essentially in a 'emersed' condition with just enough water to keep the humidity up during transit (which is very little) and you'll have packages that arrive with no problems every time

Thanks for elaborating hooha.

Quote:
YIKES! I wouldn't pay money for THAT. Sorry to hear about it though, I hope everything gets worked out for you.
Thats not mine and you best believe I would have gotten my money back, but my friend is a easy going guy.

I just think this it's unacceptable for some one to take a loss when clearly the seller does know how to pack plants.

BTW I saw these stems in person so I know what I'm talking about.

The Junkie
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So should you soak a piece of paper in water and take as much access off as you can, then wrap the plant?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Collectoritis Patient

Here's how I do it....

Shipping plants too wet is the biggest reason for plants arriving as plant soup on a hot day.

Plants should always be trimmed the day of shipment or the night before with the exception of very hardy plants such as ferns, Anubias and mosses.

Place the plants on an old cotton towel and gently pat them somewhat dry.
Run a paper towel (don't go cheap or you'll spend all day trying to unravel them without tearing them) under water or dip it in the tank and wring it out as hard as you can.
Unfold the paper towel and gently wrap the plants in the paper towel.
Put the wrapped plants in a fish bag and tightly tie the end of the bag.
Place it in the shipping box and send it on its way.

You can use filter floss or pillow stuffing to wrap more delicate plants in in place of the paper towel. It is not necessary to wet the floss.

I've mailed literally hundreds of shipments this way with maybe one DOA and only when the shipment has been delayed for weeks.

In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association! www.gwapa.org
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

After trimming I simply let the plants drip for about 10 seconds over the aquarium, into a ziploc baggie they go slightly wet but not sopping (separate baggie for each type!! I hate playing Untangle the Different Plants game), then zipped closed but with some slight air in there to provide some cushion. Then I place them into a box either lined with styrofoam boards and then cushioned with peanuts or with a load of bubble wrap or soft crumpled paper. I do it in a way that the plants are packed tightly as to immobilize but not so tight as to get crushed. If an ice pack is added I first place the ice pack too into a sealed ziploc baggie and then tape it heavily to the top lid flap so it will not touch or get too close to the plants. Shipping USPS Priority typically takes 2-3 days from the west coast to almost anywhere in the US in my experience though every once and a while the USPS mistakenly re-directs a package and it has taken up to 5 days. In ok weather even that should still allow over 70% of the plants to survive.

Plants that I have rec'd that were either mush or just stems with detached leaves were either packed in too much water and were floating (this gives them the tumbling "washing machine" treatment the whole way over), or the ice pack was stuffed in right up next to the plants with ice cold touching them through the plastic. I have never used paper towels.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

If I'm using paper towel to wrap certain plants I usually separate the sheets to reduce weight cut into 3 x 4 sheets, damp and then wrap plants.

When I'm shipping regular stuff I skip the paper towel all together, dip the plants in water, shake off the excess, place it neatly in the bag and then begin folding the bag to maintain the plant placement and restrict movement.

The Junkie
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Planted Member

Looks like chinese stir fry! yummy
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

soak a paper towel under running water. Squeeze out as much water as physically possible. wrap plants in damp towel and place in an air tight bag. You are now ready to ship.

There should be a sticky in the S&S for shipping methods that work and don't work. That way it is a good reference guide for successful swapping and shopping.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Good infor here guys. I usually wrap the plants in a paper towel, dip the plants wrapped in the towel in the tank, let the excess drip off, and then stick in a bag. I havn't had much trouble with my plants, but maybe even this is leaving them too wet? I just got a package the other day...everything was fine but the Blyxa. In my experience this plant is especially sensitive.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

In my experience plants in wet paper towels come in more often in worse shape than ones in nothing but a baggie. I think sometimes the paper towel keeps them too wet.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
dip the plants wrapped in the towel in the tank, let the excess drip off, and then stick in a bag.
That is too much

When you get shipment that are packed right the condition is without a doubt excellent and will seem as if it was just pulled from the tank...not just fine

The Junkie
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
When you get shipment that are packed right the condition is without a doubt excellent and will seem as if it was just pulled from the tank...not just fine
Nicely said!
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzilla View Post
There should be a sticky in the S&S for shipping methods that work and don't work. That way it is a good reference guide for successful swapping and shopping.
Exactly!

I've packed plants with just a little bit of air, a little damp from tank, and place a 1X1" of folded wet paper towel, to provide a little moisture. Then I just make sure everything can't move around too much.

Tags
shipping plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode