Plant shipping revisited *again* - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

And it should go without saying that plants must be shipped in a 3-D BOX and not in a bubble envelope. If I want squashed plants with damaged leaves, I'll step on them myself... It is the same price (free box from USPS), so there's no real argument to using them.

I've received plants twice this way from forum members and had to learn them a thing or two in PMs so they didn't do it again to others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
.....If I want squashed plants with damaged leaves, I'll step on them myself...
LOL!!
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I never use paper towels or add water.
If it is a delicate plant, I wrap in floss lightly, drop it in a ziplock
seal it, then open a small section and blow the bag up=02/C02
UG, HC, Tonina's, Erio's, I have had very very few problems
in the hundreds of packages I have shipped.

I have had delicate plants shipped to me in bags of water & substrate
that were heavily damaged & wrapped in paper which flattens
a plant nicely, so please don't ever do that. ever
A bag of air is all you need, and a priority box! not a envelope... idiot

Craig
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm confused by those using wet paper towels to add moisture. A wet plant freshly taken from a tank and immediately placed into a ziploc bag and sealed will retain close to 100% of it's moisture over the few days of shipment since the baggie is sealed closed.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PRESTON4479
I like to put them right into a zip lock bag after cutting with a tiny bit of moisture to keep the humidity high in the bag during shipment and blow some air into the bag to help keep them from getting smashed in shipment.

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
I'm confused by those using wet paper towels to add moisture. A wet plant freshly taken from a tank and immediately placed into a ziploc bag and sealed will retain close to 100% of it's moisture over the few days of shipment since the baggie is sealed closed.
Agreed!

Brian

Equipment: 55g, 3x 9watt tt uv, 2-xp3's, pressurized co2, inline co2 reactor, 216 watt catalina t5 fixture, milwaukee ph controller, 300 watt hydor inline heater, aqua soil
Filstar Pimp #100
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:18 AM
Collectoritis Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
If you've ever kept an emersed setup with high humidity, say 90% to 100% you'll notice that a lot of the time leaves that touch each other will eventually melt because they are wet and hot.

By allowing the plants to dry a little bit and patting them with a soft cotton towel (some plants are too delicate for this part) you allow the leaves themselves to not melt each other.

Following this up by wrapping gently in a damp paper towel (wrung out as much as possible) puts enough moisture into the package to keep the humidity levels high enough and wicks moisture away from the plants themselves.

I've shipped literally several hundreds of packages in this manner with a 99% success rate.

In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association! www.gwapa.org
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha, and the funny thing is that if you ship it the correct way, it will most likely cost less because the package weighs less without that extra water.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

We know what will happen to wet hot plants but what about wet cold plants?

I recieved some plants from a forum member and he kindly threw in some extra green rotala "narrrow leaf". I recived the package at home and wanted to put the rotala in my tank at work. So I just put the plants in a ziplick bag by themselves, no towel or anything. When I left home I threw the plants in the plastic grocery bag I had my lunch in for easy carrying.

When I got to wotk (~9 am) I just threw the bag in the fridge with out thinking about the rotala. It wasnt untill lunch when I removed the bag to get some food I remembered the plants! I took them out of the bag and as cold as they were just put them in the tank hoping for the best.

Now, a week later the plant not only has not lost one leaf but is growing wonderfully in its new home. Would the outcome have been the same if it were wrapped in a sopping wet paper towel and then thrown in the fridge for 3+ hours?
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Exactly. The plants need to remain moist without drying out. You can do that with paper towels or a number of other ways. Paper towels offer no further protection other than holding moisture. It is a very simple process. Growers often ship plants in vacum sealed bags, with most of the air squeezed out and no water other than what was on the plants when it was put in the bag. Aaron and his fellow club members have come up with a way that I guess works for them, but...

High temps are still a problem no matter what you do. The only extra protection you can give is to use a styrofoam box or some other kind of thermal insulation with a cold pack that will hold a temperature for a period of time. Any extra effort made to protect plants in extreme weather is usually worth the effort.

People always keep plants in a fridge or cooler. Produce, flowers, seedlings, you name it. When I get my shipments of plants at the airport, they are stored in a cooler until I pick them up. While the plants are kept cool they are preserved. As soon as they are exposed to warm air they become vulnerable again. Even plants sitting in a sealed box will last longer than those sitting in an open box at room temp.

[quote]
Haha, and the funny thing is that if you ship it the correct way, it will most likely cost less because the package weighs less without that extra water./QUOTE]

Shipping plants in bags of water is just plain dumb

Quote:
blow some air into the bag to help keep them from getting smashed in shipment.
Most people blow C02, not air! Filling the space in the box around the plant with anything, newspaper, peanuts, whatever will keep the plants from shifting and prevent breakage.

Robert Paul Hudson
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
Most people blow C02, not air! Filling the space in the box around the plant with anything, newspaper, peanuts, whatever will keep the plants from shifting and prevent breakage.
Sorry, I didn't think there was a need to be that particular when making the statement. I stand corrected.

Brian

Filstar Pimp #100
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
We know what will happen to wet hot plants but what about wet cold plants?

I recieved some plants from a forum member and he kindly threw in some extra green rotala "narrrow leaf". I recived the package at home and wanted to put the rotala in my tank at work. So I just put the plants in a ziplick bag by themselves, no towel or anything. When I left home I threw the plants in the plastic grocery bag I had my lunch in for easy carrying.

When I got to wotk (~9 am) I just threw the bag in the fridge with out thinking about the rotala. It wasnt untill lunch when I removed the bag to get some food I remembered the plants! I took them out of the bag and as cold as they were just put them in the tank hoping for the best.

Now, a week later the plant not only has not lost one leaf but is growing wonderfully in its new home. Would the outcome have been the same if it were wrapped in a sopping wet paper towel and then thrown in the fridge for 3+ hours?
I'm not sure why it is, but when plants are cold (not freezing) their growth slows down. But they don't die. This is why florests keep their flowers in refridgedors. It keeps them from opening, and thus, last longer.

65 gallon low tech planted
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Might be a silly question, but when you make it so that there is air in the bag to not smush it, should you blow it or just put regular air in?
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraGuppy View Post
Might be a silly question, but when you make it so that there is air in the bag to not smush it, should you blow it or just put regular air in?
I just blow into the bag add a few drops of water and sometimes filter floss.

Brian

Filstar Pimp #100
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRESTON4479 View Post
Sorry, I didn't think there was a need to be that particular when making the statement. I stand corrected.
Air is still a correct term for what comes out of the lungs when you exhale. The amount of CO2 added and O2 removed from the air you breathe in in really not that much - it's still basically 'air'.

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

Tags
shipping plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode