The Planted Tank Forum banner

most beautiful freshwater fish?

11K views 44 replies 39 participants last post by  markopolo 
#1 ·
this is a question i have for just opinions. I'd like to know what everyone thinks is the most beautiful fish. Personally i like CPD's, Rams, other microrasboras, and Celebes rainbowfish. I was just wondering if you guys had favorites and what they are and what their scientific names are so i can look them up! thanks!:thumbsup:

#11 ·
I love killifish. Looking to raise/breed some right now, but I'm still learning/researching.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/photography/32113-some-killies-shots-4.html

^ some awesome killie pictures!

A few of my favorites. Note that all pictures are property of Hristo (Aquasaur) and can be found from that link.

Hristo takes the most amazing pictures of fish I've ever seen, I keep telling him he needs to publish more of them, especially in a Killie book or something. I think it's wonderful how he posts them so freely to share with people. He has to personally own one of the biggest and most beautiful collections of Killies on the planet!!!

Largely because of his pics, I have to say that I think Killies are one of the most fantastically beautiful FW fish.

Cardinal tetras will always have first place in my heart and my tanks, though. :)

#7 ·
endlers have got to be in the list of the best looking FW fish.

#8 ·
#12 ·
Hmmm, beauty is pretty subjective and it's too hard to pick just one. Gotta be natural coloration though, no line breeds. I'm not into "color" anyways, it's more about lines and patterns.

I feel I'm only competent to talk about cichlids. Here goes:
Large SA Cichlid: Geophagus altifrons or S. jurupari
Small SA Cichlid: Mikrogeophagus altispinosa or just about any Apisto
Large African: Altolamprologus calvus or C. frontosa
Small African: 'Lampgrologus' stappersii (no agreed upon species name) or P. demasoni

#20 ·
I have to say angel fish and betta's.

#25 ·
I like these Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi cichlids from some of the rivers of Africa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.