The Planted Tank Forum banner

advice on riccia

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Opiesilver 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for advice on where I am going wrong with my riccia.

I have been trying to propagate riccia by floating it on the surface. Over a period of a month it hase become very washed out and doesnt seem to be multiplying. I have been trying to grow enough to use for a riccia lawn and attached to wood etc in a yet to be assembled high light tank.

It is currently in a 20 gallon tank with 40 watts of light an inch away from the plants, DIY co2.

Is it a fertilzer problem?, what fertilzers do they prefer?.

The stuffs so rare round these parts I cant afford to have it die on me!

Thanks,
Joe

#2 ·
My guess is that the riccia has depleted the nutrients in your tank and is starving. Have you tested for Nitrates and Phosphates? Riccia is like a nutrient sponge. Under good lighting (which you've got), and floating on the surface (limitless CO2 supply), it will suck a tank dry of nutrients pretty quickly. Especially in a 20g tank.

Get your nitrates up to 10ppm and Phosphates to 0.5-1.0ppm and the riccia will take off so fast you won't know what to do with it.

#3 ·
GulfCoastAquarian said:
Get your nitrates up to 10ppm and Phosphates to 0.5-1.0ppm and the riccia will take off so fast you won't know what to do with it.
I know I don't .... except... there is always the compost pile. :wink:

#5 ·
Well, first test to be sure what your levels are currently. Then use Chuck Gadd's calculator to figure out how much Potassium Nitrate to add for NO3 or Fleet Enema for PO4.
Do some more reading on fertilizers and nutrients before you take the plunge. There are a ton of posts on this site on the topic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.