My Guppies Personally Hate Me - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 919
My Guppies Personally Hate Me

I bought 1 female and 2 male guppies. I was worried about a reverse trio, so I went back and got another female and another male. The female died within 12 hours, so I had a reverse quadruplet of guppies. I finally went back and got another female which looked pregnant but had dropsy. She died a few days ago from dropsy.

I was left with one female and three males and they were doing great. I usually feed with a turkey baster because it is so easy. Yesterday I was about to feed and noticed the water level was too high, so I stuck the siphon into the tank. Little did I know, they had all gathered in their pecking order (biggest to smallest) to get food. The remaining female guppy was the biggest. Within a few seconds of starting the siphon, she was sucked in. She turned red and her eyes popped out.

These aren't pure guppies, they're guppy-endler hybrids. It's the "black tiger" kind which is yellow with black stripes. Luckily she had a large drop a few days ago and I have at least 10 babies that are thriving and now swimming around the outer boundaries of the many plants.

Today I came home and went to feed my fishing. I made the blood worms ready and started feeding with my turkey baster. All 9 neons ate. Both dwarf puffers ate hardily. I saw the guppy fry swimming about the plants freely... Yet none of the 3 male endlers were out.

All three were in the back corner swimming around. I couldn't get them to even come out for food. They're all in perfect health.

This makes me feel even worse about brutally, slowly and painfully murdering my most important fish. The three males swim away when I get near the tank. It's like they remember I murdered their only female 24 hours ago. Is it even possible for fish to possess such emotions?
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Kat12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
I bought 1 female and 2 male guppies. I was worried about a reverse trio, so I went back and got another female and another male. The female died within 12 hours, so I had a reverse quadruplet of guppies. I finally went back and got another female which looked pregnant but had dropsy. She died a few days ago from dropsy.

I was left with one female and three males and they were doing great. I usually feed with a turkey baster because it is so easy. Yesterday I was about to feed and noticed the water level was too high, so I stuck the siphon into the tank. Little did I know, they had all gathered in their pecking order (biggest to smallest) to get food. The remaining female guppy was the biggest. Within a few seconds of starting the siphon, she was sucked in. She turned red and her eyes popped out.

These aren't pure guppies, they're guppy-endler hybrids. It's the "black tiger" kind which is yellow with black stripes. Luckily she had a large drop a few days ago and I have at least 10 babies that are thriving and now swimming around the outer boundaries of the many plants.

Today I came home and went to feed my fishing. I made the blood worms ready and started feeding with my turkey baster. All 9 neons ate. Both dwarf puffers ate hardily. I saw the guppy fry swimming about the plants freely... Yet none of the 3 male endlers were out.

All three were in the back corner swimming around. I couldn't get them to even come out for food. They're all in perfect health.

This makes me feel even worse about brutally, slowly and painfully murdering my most important fish. The three males swim away when I get near the tank. It's like they remember I murdered their only female 24 hours ago. Is it even possible for fish to possess such emotions?

It is possible that since you just recently got these and 2 died so quickly that they may have been ill from their source and the males have just held up a bit better.
Kat12 is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
It is possible that since you just recently got these and 2 died so quickly that they may have been ill from their source and the males have just held up a bit better.
That was over a 2 week area. The two that died were already sick with non-contagious diseases. It's not illness, I'd know if it were illness.

It's not a sick hiding, it's like a "Oh look it's the murderer hide" hiding / hiding from the turkey baster.
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is offline  
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Algae Grower
 
Lynrem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Falconer, NY
Posts: 122
I think you need to change your name to

GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyKILLER

JK, sorry for you loss

I know some fish do recognize when the person that feeds them enters the room so I think it is very possible that they could associate you with the death of their mate

3 Gal Betta Tank | 10 Gal Shrimp/Fry Tank | 75 Gal Community Tank
Lynrem is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Loganville, Pa
Posts: 447
They are probably afraid of the turkey baster...and lets face it guppies arent the most intelligent of fish! I train my fish im feeding them when i tap on the tank with a plastic spoon. they get excited and swim to the top.
Imaginary1226 is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
jrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Near Ashville, North Carolina
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynrem View Post
I think you need to change your name to

GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyKILLER

JK, sorry for you loss

I know some fish do recognize when the person that feeds them enters the room so I think it is very possible that they could associate you with the death of their mate
LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
jrill is online now  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Planted Member
 
twentypoundtabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Arvada, Co
Posts: 246
Were they more friendly before the turkey baste incident? If so, then they are probably shy because their group got smaller. I've noticed that they are more outgoing when in larger groups. Give them a few days and they'll probably be begging.
I doubt guppies have the brain power to remember a death more than a few hours.

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
twentypoundtabby is offline  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
THE V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Washington State, on the dry side
Posts: 623
Sometimes I think that after over a thousand generations in captivity they just give up. They start looking for creative ways to end it all.

Just like my uncle used to say on the ranch in Montana "Sheep are always looking for a new way to die".
THE V is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Art by Stef*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 782
Siphon and a turkey baster may look the same to a gup.
The last time anything plastic came into the tank-one lost it's eyeballs.
They saw what it did to their GF and are probably scared mulmless.
Art by Stef* is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 01:03 AM
Algae Grower
 
Lynrem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Falconer, NY
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
Just like my uncle used to say on the ranch in Montana "Sheep are always looking for a new way to die".
LOL I use to raise sheep and that is SOooo true. Or as one farmer put it about his son-in-law's cattle. "The calves there are born brain dead and go down hill from there"

3 Gal Betta Tank | 10 Gal Shrimp/Fry Tank | 75 Gal Community Tank
Lynrem is offline  
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 01:13 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator
 
GraphicGr8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West coast of the east coast of the USA.
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynrem View Post
LOL I use to raise sheep and that is SOooo true. Or as one farmer put it about his son-in-law's cattle. "The calves there are born brain dead and go down hill from there"
I know some people like that.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline  
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Aquaticz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 833
Thx for the laughs.... Everyone in the restaurant now knows I am a nut ! But seriously that was hilarious ... Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards,
Aquaticz
Aquaticz is offline  
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 919
Their group will be five times larger in 2 months when the babies are sizable. All the fish in the tank are too small to eat them. As long as I don't siphon all of them out the population should continue to grow...

I'm going to use a pitcher from now on.
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is offline  
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 919
Update on the saga:

This morning I woke up to find one of the males dead midwater. Still brightly colored without that "dead" look -- like he was petrified.

The other two males are still hiding in the plants. They appear to be cowering... It's not the swimming slowly in corner thing. I know the traditional sick fish thing. They look like they're shaking and they dart when things come near them.

All of the babies are still alive. This may be turned into a dwarf puffer species tank with neons. They seem much more emotionally stable and intelligent.
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is offline  
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Planted Member
 
twentypoundtabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Arvada, Co
Posts: 246
I'm amazed that the males are dying but the babies are not since guppies babies are more fragile in my experience. Are the babies eating and acting normal? If so, then it looks like you're going to have guppies.

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
twentypoundtabby is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome