The Planted Tank Forum banner

Unusual problem

1K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  anfield 
#1 ·
I have the kind of problem most people wouldn't mind. A vendor from whom I ordered something else accidentally sent me 10 celestial pearl danios. He told me to keep them. They get here tomorrow. I am in the process of setting up a 40g breeder planted tank but it wont be ready for a month or so. I only have a 2.5g currently that is already overstocked. I had not planned on getting these fish for my tank but now I wouldn't mind keeping some of them for my tank. The other issue is that I will be gone for at least a couple of days at a stretch during the next few weeks.

So what are my options for keeping the danios for the next 3-4 weeks short of buying a new tank for them? The fish in the current tank should be fine without feeding while I am gone for a few days but not sure about these new guys. I could donate some of them to local LFS but want to keep a couple at least. Suggestions?

#3 ·
Id have to invest in all the equipment ie filter, heater, light, tank and cycle the tank before putting them in. No time for that and the fish not sure the fish are worth the expense. The seller suggested hanging a breeder tank over the side of the 2.5g but I would be pushing 15 fish in a tiny tank. Granted the danios are young but its probably still too much right?

#5 ·
That's the problem though, I will be gone for a couple of days during this period. This may sound crazy but I already have three guppies, 2 otocinclus and 1 neon tetra in the 2.5g. Its a long story but for now its a temporary fix till I get the 40g up and running. That being said, they have been in there for a couple of months now and look fine (maybe a little cranky though)

#6 ·
Could you put them in some other container (bucket, clean trash can, plastic bin, etc.), and use the equipment for the 40B on it (filter, heat, maybe light) until you get the 40B set up?

Also, what state is your 40B in, and what do you need to do to get it ready?

Other then that, I guess maybe see if you have a friend who could take care of them for you, or RAOK them?

#7 ·
40b is not setup at all because I don't have the stand yet. I do have the heater and filters on hand. How safe is it to setup in a bucket. Half scared that I will burn down the house while I'm gone! If you can't tell, have not had a full size aquarium in a loooong time,

#11 ·
No one I know has an aquarium oddly enough. I think I might just setup a plastic bin inside of the 40b with the heater and one of the aquaclear 50 filters. My only concern is having a large heater in a small bin.....I might just have to buy a small heater. That would be my only expense though.

#12 ·
just make sure the heater isnt touching the plastic. I was considering getting some CPD's and did alot of research on them. The CPD's may not even need the heater in the first place. They generally prefer cooler temps and Ive read of people keeping them in unheated tanks and in the 60's during wintertime. Depends on how cold in gets in your residence I suppose.

#14 ·
Sounds like the local shop is trying for the good deal. Suggest to him that you leave the bunch with him and pick up an agreed upon number when you return or simply take an offer from him as store credit to use later for fish of choice. Normal around here is they give you 50% of retail and you trade it in at retail price. Not a good deal but then you did get the fish cheap!

#17 ·
If the filter in the 2.5 is well established, then go to lowes/home depot/local restaurant and get a 5 gallon bucket and put all your fish including the CPDs in it with the heater. I would recommend finding some java moss or other moss or leafy plant to put in the bucket with them for their comfort. CPDs don't travel well and die off is common with them. They're also pretty shy so they need some kind of cover to feel ok. Your fish are small so with a seeded biofilter I think they would survive. I think that's what I would do anyway.

Good luck!

#18 ·
What about lighting in the 5 gallon bucket? Are you suggesting simply placing the filter pad in the bucket along with the heater? So they should be okay without filtration for a week? No airstone and without any water flow due to lack of filtration, how would that work?

How bad would it be if I left them all in the 2.5 for a week? Would the guppies massacre the rest?

#19 ·
No they very much need filtration - I would use the filter from the 2.5 and rig it to the side of the bucket, or get a filter with the capability and use the media and anything off the 2.5 that has biofilm on it in the bucket. It won't need special lighting for that length of time. Ambient should be fine.

I would just worry about waste overload, that's all. Hence the bucket idea.

#22 ·
okay so the fish got here today, all alive so far but they are small! probably half inch or so. Never got fish in mail before so I am acclimatizing them as per instructions. Most of your suggestions were great but I'm lazy so I bought a cheap gallon tank with airstone and undergravel filter. Also seeded the tank from the existing 2.5gallon tank and added a moss rock as well. Will keep them there for a week or so while I am gone. However, I did not get a heater, my home temp is usually set at 70 degrees. Am I asking for trouble?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.