The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hard water stains...

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  flight50 
#1 ·
What is the best way to remove hard water stains off of a glass top? It's just covered and I feel as if the lights could be pumping more light into the tank if I cleaned off the glass top.

#2 ·
Vinegar, water, razorblade and newspaper. Yep. Newspaper. I learned as a kid that it wipes better than anything. Doesn't streak and very little debris left behind. Just change it when it gets to saturated. Sometime it takes a little more elbow grease or a second application but it works well.

#7 ·
You may/may not need the vinegar. Depends on how the scale goes. Lots of the hard water mark will be limestone. That is alkaline so adding vinegar, which is a weak acid tends to cut and loosen the scale. With a razor blade scraper, you may not need the vinegar if you keep livestock who might suffer from just a bit of weak acid in the water. A good water change will also reduce the effect if some does drip into the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.