The Planted Tank Forum banner

The 6 Foot Plus Club

73K views 229 replies 107 participants last post by  Mortis 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone willing to participate in a dedicated thread for 6 foot tanks? It can be used as a showcase, a how-to, general discussion, help type of thread. There seems to be lots of us with big tanks and we are always looking at others or asking questions. A single thread where everyone can find things easily seems like a good idea. Why should the 12L's and such have so much fun? We need our own thread for the big boys and girls;).

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Woohoo was thinking of starting this myself, I love seeing other 6 footers for inspiration, but can't track them all down.

Here's my 125

Last week, before the rescape

Tonight, terrible embarrassing pic, lost the good camera :icon_conf needs some time to grow, but here she is at the moment, showing the truth;)

People, people post your pics!!

#5 · (Edited)
Nice looking tank rustbucket. It's gonna look good when it fills back in. Come on people, lets see the pics. I post mine and believe me it's nothing compared to most of the tanks on here.
GO BIG or GO HOME!!!!!!

I will change the title of the thread as interest increases. Lets get it started.

#7 ·
This is a great idea for a thread. I can't really contribute yet but 6 footers are definitely in the works. By this time next year I should have my 180g up and running. I did recently score a 125g from craiglist and it should be up and running by winter as a temporary plant growout tank to start my (4)40g (1) 90g tank and that 180g next year.

#21 ·
Thank you and a pleasure to be a part! This 125G tank has always been a dream of mine to have and has been very enjoyable!

dewall

I love the look of that tank.:icon_cool
Thank you!

^ My house says I can't join.

Dewalltheway, you have an incredible tank.
Thanks!

#14 · (Edited)
Old Oceanic 72"x18"x24" 135gal that I got off eBay years ago as a reef tank someone had. It stayed in storage for a couple years while I didn't have a place for it. My dream was to have it built into the wall of my log home and what you see when you first walk in the house. It's now been in place for ~6 yrs. Started as ow have pressurized CO2 and dosing EI ferts.

HELP !!!
All was going great (growth-wise) now just 3 weeks ago green beard (aka fuzz) algae popped up and it laughs at every single attempt I've read for correcting the issue. H2O2 & Excel do not work for this stuff.

Tank still looks great from 8-10ft away. I've got a little girl on the way...due in Nov and will not have time to deal with it if I cannot get it balanced by then.

Pics show from April then in June. I need to get the better pics off my camera from July (prior to algae issue).

#19 ·
When the show tank doesn't look that great. Just did a massive pruning and a water change. My hand shook a little bit too much when I was adding in some iron. I now have a a slightly yellow tank for the next week.

The haze is due to adding in some calcium sulfate for the snails. My water is really soft.

125g tank and trying to con my wife into a 8' tank.

Attachments

#20 ·
Welcome to those who have found this thread. All very nice tanks. I'm hoping this thread turns out to be a great place for information and encouragement for those of us with 6 foot tanks. I'm not opposed to calling this the 6 foot plus club as some seem to have 8 footers also. Would also love to see this be a community rather than a competition.
For those whose spouses won't allow or those who just don't have the space, you are welcome to be part of our community too. Encouragement, support, and knowledge can be found everywhere.

#22 ·
I don't have a 6' tank, but i just wanted to see the pics! they are sooooo cool (special wow to dewall :) ) I would love to do one someday, they seem like you could be so creative compared to a 10g and 5g that i have because you wouldn't have a space limitation on the plants or the fish :)

keep it up people, good for you :)

#24 · (Edited)
I hope you guys don't mind me joining in. I had a 125 tall (5 ft). Here's some pics of the evolution of this tank.
First was pretty basic, plant's didn't get too tall which (to me) made it look awkward with the height. I did manage to breed kuhlii loaches with this scape.

Next I did crypts and swords with a few stems.

Then, the stem jungle with large rocks and a "beach" front

Here's the link to this particular build.

#28 ·
Great setup,
Do you have a build thread
what kind of lighting do you have, Co2 ?

I hope you guys don't mind me joining in. I had a 125 tall (5 ft). Here's some pics of the evolution of this tank.
First was pretty basic, plant's didn't get too tall which (to me) made it look awkward with the height. I did manage to breed kuhlii loaches with this scape.

Next I did crypts and swords with a few stems.

Then, the stem jungle with large rocks and a "beach" front

#25 ·
Welcome. I think a 125 tall would fit right in. What you lack in length you make up for in depth, one of the problem areas of a large tank. It looks like you figured out the lighting and are making it work very nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.