The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anyone Buy from...

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Robert H 
#1 ·
...Lowcoaster on aquabid?

#3 ·
She asked, you answered. There may be others with varying opinions but I don't think getting "flamed" would be warranted.

I have no experience with that particular vendor nor do I with the wholesaler he uses however I have read both positive and negative experiences about having plants shipped directly from overseas. With proper care, small portions will become large portions. The BBA issue aught to be discussed with the vendor before placing an order, maybe it's a problem that has been remedied already.

#8 ·
I look at it this way. If you want to be a top notch supplier on Aquabid or elsewhere and you have problems with algae of any type, you should not ship. Contact all your customers and explain what the problem is and let the customer decide if they want algae infested plants.

But personally I have struggled with myself on whether or not to purchase from Lowcoster and did take a chance. If I recall I did get large portions and the condition was not bad.

I would suggest that many of the pictures posted by Lowcoaster be updated. Clean the tank glass and present the plants in a cleaner healthier manner. That IMO makes it look like they really care for their plants and presentation to the customer. And lower the prices!!! Too expensive for plants you can get here if you just ask in Swap N Shop!!!

#5 ·
He's got many fans here, so I expect to get flamed
Pre-empting a differing opinion?

I know Charley, and I have heard his side of the story as well as yours. You shouldn't flame him.

I have bought many, many plants for Charley. I have always received healthy, algae free plants. When you order form Charley, you know how many stems or plants you are going to get right from the start. There are no surprises. I have never been disappointed and do almost all of my plant buying from him. In fact asides from hobbyists, he is the only person I buy plants from.

If you follow spypet's "cut out the middle man" logic no one would buy plants form Aquariumplants.com, AquaBotanic, or any of the other plant sellers. Lowcoaster operates just as they do.

Buy from Lowcoaster with ABSOLUTE confidence!!

Mike

#9 ·
And lower the prices!!! Too expensive for plants you can get here if you just ask in Swap N Shop!!!
Respectfully, and I can assume this gentleman isn't gouging because other people on here hold him in regard, I'm not sure that the swap n'shop forum on a small friendly forum is really comparable to what is effectively a small business on an internet bidding site. Many people on the swap and shop aren't too fussed by the prospect of any profit margin at all.

Bid sites occupy the murky gray area between friendly hobbyist exchange and your LFS. People selling on bid sites don't have to worry much about additional business expenses, like show premises and the like but the quality may vary and there's the danger of being ripped off. If people here recommend someone, I'd definitely be willing to give them a go, but that's just me.

#11 ·
Humm??? "Bid sites occupy the murky gray area..."? What is Aquabid, is it in the murky gray area? After all it is a bid site. This is where you can get plants from Lowcoaster.

Please don't assume I have problems with Lowcoaster and the prices of his plants. As previously stated I have purchased from him in the past and have no issues with the quality and amount of plants I received.

But as to price he can charge what he wants, no problem there either. But...hee hee... I wanted to buy some Rotala Rotundifolia Green well why pay 7 bucks + extra cost for shipment and handling when you can get some very nice stems in Swap n Shop for basically the cost of shipping. This is what I am talking about when I "ask" that prices should be lower. Also If you go to other "Plant" stores you can get this plant for less than half the price as Lowcoaster.

In the end, when I do want something that I really can't find I will go to Lowcoaster. He really does have quality plants. You can buy just one plant or several in one shipment, where as with "real Plant Stores" you need to purchase a minimum of plants in order to have them accept your order.

#12 ·
I have bought from Charley a few times without any problems. The prices are a little high and his portions are smaller than you generally get from other members here or at APC, however, I wouldn't say he is price gouging or that his portions were unacceptable.

Also, I have mentioned to Charley that it would be in his best interest to replace his photos with more appealing images, because the ones he uses quite frankly, don't encourage anyone to purchase his plants. He seemed uninterested and stated that he was not a photographer.

That being said, whenever I can I prefer to buy plants from other hobbyists.

#13 ·
If you follow spypet's "cut out the middle man" logic no one would buy plants form Aquariumplants.com, AquaBotanic, or any of the other plant sellers. Lowcoaster operates just as they do.
Actually Charlie does not import plants from anywhere himself. The reason his prices are so high is because he has an extra middleman. He buys his plants from an importer, someone in New York. The importer buys the plants from Oriental Aquarium in Singapore. The advantage Charlie has is he can cherry pick the plants he wants from his local importer without having to accept any of the risks of importing himself. Plants also clear customs much easier and quicker in New York. Its no secret. He told me that himself. The volume of plants he sells is small enough so that works for him. He basically has a fish room in his basement where he houses the plants. A little over a dozen tanks if I remember right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.