Is this bulb suitable for planted tanks? (if someone will be so kind to answer......) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Question Is this bulb suitable for planted tanks? (if someone will be so kind to answer......)

EDIT2: Adding onto the thread again.
I finally found a 33 inch t5ho bulb, but it's 12000k. Is it suitable for my plants? I'm only growing moss, dwarf sag, and low-light plants.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Wave_Poin...BUT5HO-vi.html

EDIT: Just adding onto my old thread, since it's not a huge question... I can't seem to find 33 inch T5HO bulbs anywhere online! Not on amazon or petco or Dr. Foster&Smith, not even in google search, it seems. I'm looking for one around 5000k~7000k, closer to a natural daylight color. Does anyone know off the top of their head where I can find this? It looks like 33 inch bulbs are quite rare.

Since I have an AquaticLife t5ho fixture, do I need to AquaticLife bulbs?

Or can any t5ho brand of bulb fit into any t5ho fixture?

Last edited by caykuu; 07-04-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Sponsor

Any brand will do as long as youre going with the same wattage and making sure it is a high output t5 bulb.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alrighty- thanks!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

bump for new question:

Just adding onto my old thread, since it's not a huge question... I can't seem to find 33 inch T5HO bulbs anywhere online! Not on amazon or petco or Dr. Foster&Smith, not even in google search, it seems. I'm looking for one around 5000k~7000k, closer to a natural daylight color. Does anyone know off the top of their head where I can find this? It looks like 33 inch bulbs are quite rare.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had the same problem with finding 20" bulbs for my odyssea light. I ended up just buying them from aquatraders where I got the light.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Fear the Swamp!

Try reefgeek.com
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Try Petmountian I just bought 2 33" 6700k bulbs for 29.00 shipped they will be for a 36" fixture but if you look they are 33" bulbs. Hope this helps. http://www.petmountain.com/category/...-ho-bulbs.html

Crap sorry they are 34" bulbs

Jason

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-04-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dang, everything's 34 inch .... so close yet so far.

I finally found a 33 inch t5ho bulb, but it's 12000k. Is it suitable for my plants? I'm only growing moss, dwarf sag, and low-light plants.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-04-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caykuu View Post

Here's what I do when I come across an unknown bulb. I look for the spectral distribution of the bulb in question and if I find it I compare it to the known chlorophyll absorption charts found on the web. Since a spectral distribution chart is provided the question you have asked can be answered.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The thing is, I'm not particularly looking for the BEST bulb out there for plants, because so far, I can't find any other 33 inch T5HO bulb for sale anywhere. I'm just wondering if this bulb will be SUFFICIENT for my low-light plants, because I don't have enough experience to determine how much of an impact the difference in spectral distribution will affect my particular plants, and if the average impact on the plants is worthwhile, or if it's completely and utterly useless and I should keep looking/waiting.

Pretty bummed that 33 inch bulbs are actually so rare though.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The thing is, I'm not particularly looking for the BEST bulb out there for plants,
The question you've asked is not about the best bulb. Just if this bulb will work. You could go a step further by looking at other known bulbs that work and comparing both spectrums. For instance Geismanns Midday bulb.

Quote:
I'm just wondering if this bulb will be SUFFICIENT for my low-light plants, because I don't have enough experience to determine how much of an impact the difference in spectral distribution will affect my particular plants, and if the average impact on the plants is worthwhile, or if it's completely and utterly useless and I should keep looking/waiting.
Give yourself some credit and take an educated guess. I won't tell you what I think because you won't learn anything that way.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I did compare before I even posted this thread, and my "educated" (but not) guess was that it will work for moss and my other plants.

It's not like I can find any other 33 inch bulb anyway, though. But if it's a complete waste of time, and all my plants will end up dying or something, I won't go driving an hour and 20 minutes to Marinedepot and back to pick up a useless bulb. Alright?

And then I asked on this thread, so that I can get correct experienced advice from veteran aquarists and skip a potential failure that I can't afford. College students aren't exactly the wealthiest people out there to just throw around $20's and $30's and wasted time and gas money.

Now, what do you think?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I did compare before I even posted this thread, and my "educated" (but not) guess was that it will work for moss and my other plants.

It's not like I can find any other 33 inch bulb anyway, though. But if it's a complete waste of time, and all my plants will end up dying or something, I won't go driving an hour and 20 minutes to Marinedepot and back to pick up a useless bulb. Alright?

And then I asked on this thread, so that I can get correct experienced advice from veteran aquarists and skip a potential failure that I can't afford. College students aren't exactly the wealthiest people out there to just throw around $20's and $30's and wasted time and gas money.

Now, what do you think?
Are you certain this bulb is 33 inches? I see it listed as
Quote:
Length (including pins): 22 1/8"
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

12000K is really not going to even look good on the plants. They will probably grow under that lighting, but obviously not very well.

RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Planted Member

the 34" bulb is probly what you need. for my light I need a 24" bulb but they are actually only 22"

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode