The Planted Tank Forum banner

Manzanita Bird Perch in Tank?

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  observant_imp 
#1 ·
Can Manzanita wood bird perches be used in the aquarium? I saw a few decent pieces at the LPS last night, but I wanted to ask everyone here first. Of course the mounting bracket would have to be removed.

#2 ·
Soak it well for a few weeks. It takes a while for the tannins to leech out of manzanita, and even longer for it to sink. It can be used; however, and is a great wood for the aquarium.

#3 ·
I have Manzanita in my tank.
It took 2 weeks of soaking with hot water, and water changes every other or 3rd day to get the tanins out, and sink all but the thickest branches (Y shape 3-3.5" in diameter). A bird perch shouldn't take too long to sink

#6 ·
Well, unless they're treated with something (don't see why they would be, birds can be sensitive) they should be the same, after all they all come from manzanita trees! And it seems like if you only wanted a small piece or two and happened to find a reasonably priced, nicely shaped bird perch locally you could save a bit on shipping.

#7 ·
^Exactly. I found them at PetSmart, which will give you the on-line price in the store if you go to the check out line with the price printed out. **For example: you can save over 50% on AquaClear filters this way.

#8 ·
The manzanita we have been using in our aquariums has had the bark and outer portions sand blasted off. I don't believe the manzanita bird perches have had the same thing done to them.

Price-wise? You get a heck of a lot of usable wood in the "small" wood package manzanita.com ships out. I pay about $40 with shipping.

Mike

#9 ·
Hubby brought home bird perches for me to use. Boil them a few hours and then peel the bark off. If you've boiled them long enough, it should come off fairly easily--I've got mild arthritis in my hands and was able to do it bare handed. After that, they'll be fine. I'd go for the manzanita.com order though. Perches have cut ends and tend to be straight--not attractive in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.