Raising up bucket for water changes - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
If you're not strong enough to lift it, or just don't want to, why not get a small pump and pump the water in?
+1 for this. Get a small powerhead and some tubing that fits the outlet of the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+2 Pump is the way to go. Made a clip that fits right on top of the tank. Don't even have to hold the hose as the tank fills. Have a switch on the outlet to make turning the pump on and off a breeze.

Trapperwolves

75 Gallon--Rainbow Fish Tank/Amano Shrimp
29 Gallon--Celestial Pearl Danios/Yellow Shrimp
20 Gallon--Ember Tetras/Orange Shrimp
10 Gallon--Chili Rasboras/Cherry Red Shrimp
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:55 PM

Harbor Freight has great little pumps right now. You could get a pump that does the trick for $10.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowho View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has any clever ways that they quickly and conveniently raise up a 5 gallon bucket of water for a water change, to siphon water back into the tank.
What exactly is your question about? What is the primary issue in your case? Is this a question about lifting the heavy bucket? Or is it a question about providing support for the lifted bucket next to the tank? Or is it about something else?

Moreover, it you don't have a hose that is long enough to reach to the nearest tap water source, you can always buy a longer hose (instead of doing all that bucket-involving acrobatics).
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post
Build one of these things out of PVC and connect it to a drinking water safer garden hose and then you can drain and fill just turning valves.
I would be wary of this method. Hoses left out in the sun can start to degrade and release some nasty stuff into water. I've known fish tanks to crash from using a standard issue garden hose to fill.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Eheim hobby pump. Makes water changes so easy.

Eheim Pimp Club #190
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:32 PM
ETK
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
I would be wary of this method. Hoses left out in the sun can start to degrade and release some nasty stuff into water. I've known fish tanks to crash from using a standard issue garden hose to fill.
Good to know.

I use a drinking water safe garden hose that I purchased for this use alone, and I keep it on a hook in a closet until I need it. Better than trying to use a muddy hose for the yard and also drag it inside for the fish tank.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Planted Member

I think what th op means is they need a quick solution to put up and tear down when doing a water change because the bucket needs to be up higher than the tank for the gravity feed to work. I am assuming they do wc with a gravel vac rather than dumping the bucket into the tank and causing too much disturbance. The step ladder seems like a good easy idea.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have the same problem my old tank lid was strong enough for the bucket to be place on top then syphoned the clean water via gravity through the feeding slot

my new tank doesn't have a strong lid and I have no way of keeping the bucket above the tank to allow the syphon apart from holding or just pouring and with discus I prefer a slow refill

I ended up using the powerhead from an old internal filter.. Melted the output tube shut and then the water is diverted to the Venturi where I have some airline running to the tank.

The powerhead sits in a bucket that I can pour my RO water for the change into
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes I siphon water back into the tank using gravity, so the 5 gallon bucket has to be higher than the tank. I don't like the idea of putting 41+ lbs of water on the rim of the tank so I've been using the dining room table + bin combo to raise the water up.

There are some good ideas here, thanks for the input!
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If your water changes are difficult, they turn into work. Once it turns into work you won't do them very often. IMO, with a freshwater tank, anything less than a 50% change is generally a waste of time...especially if you are doing less than 25%. Spend the 30 bucks and get a python. I can change 55g in my 75 in about 20-30 minutes, and I have some lousy water pressure. I often do PWCs on my tanks randomly because I have the time...thats how easy they are.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills Tj View Post
If your water changes are difficult, they turn into work. Once it turns into work you won't do them very often. IMO, with a freshwater tank, anything less than a 50% change is generally a waste of time...especially if you are doing less than 25%. Spend the 30 bucks and get a python. I can change 55g in my 75 in about 20-30 minutes, and I have some lousy water pressure. I often do PWCs on my tanks randomly because I have the time...thats how easy they are.
Great advice, if you don't use RO.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Algae Grower

get yourself a fountain pump from Harbor Freight, some vinyl tubing, and make yourself a "hanger" out of pvc like shown above. makes life so much easier.

75G; DIY turtle top, Zilla T5/halogen combo, Sunsun 302, Skim350, Aqueon pro, Saftsorb
50G; Aquasun 2xT5HO, Sunsun 302, Aqueon pro, Aquatek CO2 reg, UP aqua atomizer, Saftsorb
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Jahn: the bucket in the water, repeat.
Must be someone who doesn't have aquasoil...

Doing that would look like hurricane sally going through a tank...
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Harbor Freight has great little pumps right now. You could get a pump that does the trick for $10.
1+ for harbor freight pumps i have a small one for water changes and a 600 gph+ for my pond and its been running for over a year 24/7 without any problems

-- 36 gallon bowfront -- 5.5 gallon DBP --

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode