Shrimp and Root Tabs - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
tylergvolk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 1,718
Shrimp and Root Tabs

Will my shrimp die if I put in root tabs?

Fluval Ebi
Stratum
Low Light
Dwarf Sag
RCS

I want my shrimp to thrive and breeeeeed!

I was asking another member about this but I wanted to get some more input.
tylergvolk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:19 AM
Planted Member
 
DoubleT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 250
I use flourish root tabs and osmocote root tabs all the time in my shrimp tanks, just don't put too many. I would maybe put no more than 3 preferably 2 in a fluval ebi.
DoubleT is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 3,552
No problems. Had tons of them in my 75g tank and the shrimp did great. Even when the little osmocote balls came the the surface and the shrimp were messing around with them, no issues that I could see.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
tylergvolk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 1,718
Will 2 or 3 tabs in an ebi reach all my sag? Attempting to carpet with the sag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleT View Post
I use flourish root tabs and osmocote root tabs all the time in my shrimp tanks, just don't put too many. I would maybe put no more than 3 preferably 2 in a fluval ebi.
tylergvolk is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
tylergvolk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 1,718
With a 75 gallon there is much more room for error.

I'm just wondering it the substrate itself has enough nutrients...

I started with a lot of Sag. The sag came from a dirted tank. almost half has melted away. It looks like the rest might hold without tabs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
No problems. Had tons of them in my 75g tank and the shrimp did great. Even when the little osmocote balls came the the surface and the shrimp were messing around with them, no issues that I could see.
tylergvolk is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 02:52 AM
Planted Member
 
DoubleT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
Will 2 or 3 tabs in an ebi reach all my sag? Attempting to carpet with the sag...
just put 2-3 in a different spot every 1-2 months. Just keep an eye on the dwarf sag, you will be able to tell when it needs a root tab again
DoubleT is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
With a 75 gallon there is much more room for error.

I'm just wondering it the substrate itself has enough nutrients...

I started with a lot of Sag. The sag came from a dirted tank. almost half has melted away. It looks like the rest might hold without tabs...
Maybe. I had so many root tabs it was probably equivalent to just a few in your smaller tank.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome