I Messed up! - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

The cold front hit us too up here in Dallas but I have never put anything over a tank to retain heat. That's the job of the heater and the ambient temperature in the house. If your house's heat was running along with your aquarium heater, the temperature difference wouldn't effect your tank. If you don't have a heater that is problem 1. Most tropical fish require mid 70's temperature wise.

I doubt if covering the tank alone did this though. One method to control algae is to black out the tank. Similar to what you did. I had no fish loss the time I done it and I had co2 going at the time. I think the culprit is more or less the combination with the towel covering, excel and the top off.

For the record, I cover my spraybar all the time with water changes. A day or two passes and I get that water scum on the surface until I either remove it or water evaporates. But I haven't loss any fish due to lack of surface agitation.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad 40g Stands & 90g Stand
Planted Tank Journal

Last edited by flight50; 05-04-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
The cold front hit us too up here in Dallas but I have never put anything over a tank to retain heat. That's the job of the heater and the ambient temperature in the house. If your house's heat was running along with your aquarium heater, the temperature difference wouldn't effect your tank. If you don't have a heater that is problem 1. Most tropical fish require mid 70's temperature wise.

I doubt if covering the tank alone did this though. One method to control algae is to black out the tank. Similar to what you did. I had no fish loss the time I done it and I had co2 going at the time. I think the culprit is more or less the combination with the towel covering, excel and the top off.
The room where the tank is kept is attached to the house but doesnt have central a/c. I keep my motorcycles in there as well as the washer/dryer. Could be considered a den?? I have 2 heaters in the tank but wasnt sure how low it would drop and didnt want it to get to cold..
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

What is the wattage on the heaters. 2 in a 24g could be overkill. I believe its 2-3 watts per gallon worth of heat needed. Not sure if this is still the go by. It was 10 years ago when I started the hobby. There are some instances when heaters malfunction and pretty much fry the fish. The higher the tank temperature, the less oxygen as well. Do you recall the tank's temperature when you removed the towel.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad 40g Stands & 90g Stand
Planted Tank Journal
post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

One is just a back up during the winter, temp was 78 this morning.
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Planted Member

Ugh, that sucks man. Always makes me feel terrible when I lose stuff especially if I feel it was something that was my fault. I hope you are able to figure out what happened.
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

What does RCS stand for?
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
What does RCS stand for?
Red Cherry Shrimp
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYGEE View Post
Red Cherry Shrimp
thanks
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepr View Post
Ugh, that sucks man. Always makes me feel terrible when I lose stuff especially if I feel it was something that was my fault. I hope you are able to figure out what happened.

I know the feeling, I was sick to my stomach when I saw all the carnage.

I am glad that I only found a couple of bodies that I missed this morning a frucata and 2 RCS.

So total loss

1 Zebra Oto
6 Oto's
7 Neon Tetras
9 Frucatas
8 CPDs
10-15 Amano shrimp, not sure how many I has but was more than 10 probably near 15.
5 Ghost Shrimp
10-15 Malawas
25 RCS +/- a few
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

This guy has a tank which hold 24 gallons empty. Add gravel and it is less than 24 gal. He's stocked this with at least 75 critters. How in the world did no one else notice this tank is morbidly overstocked?
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
This guy has a tank which hold 24 gallons empty. Add gravel and it is less than 24 gal. He's stocked this with at least 75 critters. How in the world did no one else notice this tank is morbidly overstocked?

Looks like I fixed that over crowded thing huh?
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Well did a top off on my 24 gallon cube l
ALL the fish and shrimp were gasping for air, assassin snails were along the top of the water line with everybody else. Im so angry,
My stupidity caused me to lose,

11 out of 13 Neon Tetras
11 out of 11 Frucatas
1 out of 2 Zebra Otos
4 out of 6 Otos
6 out of 8 CPD's
12 out of 12 Amanos
5 of 5 Ghost Shrimp
Most if not all of the Malawas I just got from DoubleT
25+ RCS

I could punch myself in the face right now...

see post 40
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
see post 40
See post 41
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Looks like I fixed that over crowded thing huh?
I just totaled the number of critters. That number was 166 living critters in less than 24 gallons of water.

It just baffles me that it never occurred to you this was far to much stock for such a small volume of water. There's info on the web discussing stocking. Their deaths were almost certainly cause by this morbid overstocking using up nearly all of the dissolved oxygen. I'm not sorry I'm not cutting you any slack for what you did was irresponsible plain and simple. Now that you've learned a painful lesson. When you restock keep the number of critters to no more than 10. Count in snails too.

Just be glad these weren't puppies or kittens that died

Last edited by Steve001; 05-05-2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: x
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Invert Warrior

I Messed up!

Quote:
I just totaled the number of critters. That number was 166 living critters in less than 24 gallons of water.

It just baffles me that it never occurred to you this was far to much stock for such a small volume of water. There's info on the web discussing stocking. Their deaths were almost certainly cause by this morbid overstocking using up nearly all of the dissolved oxygen. I'm not sorry I'm not cutting you any slack for what you did was irresponsible plain and simple. Now that you've learned a painful lesson. When you restock keep the number of critters to no more than 10. Count in snails too.

Just be glad these weren't puppies or kittens that died
You're kidding me right? I feel like the overstocked police here, as I always get yelled at to stop telling people they have overstocked tanks.

This tank wasn't overstocked by bioload means.

Shrimp have such low bio loads compared to fish.

He basically had 25 fish.

In a 24g long?

I don't think that was so bad. Unless you have some other reasoning than the amount of animals, then I don't think you've got the right idea here.

Edit* it was a cube.

He probably should have had less fish more for swimming space, not for bioload issues.

Another edit*

I noticed at some point the list changed to add more fish species.

He was overstocked, but not drastically as you said. This isn't all these fish crammed into a 12g tank.

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode