API test tubes... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to assasin6547
Angry API test tubes...

Well I dunno if anyone else is having issues but I find these things to be a PITA. I'm not exceptionally clumsy, but I've broken 3 out of 8 tubes already... and one came smashed in the mail. So I only got 4 left which makes testing even more so a pain in the arse. They're also pretty hard to clean and dry, so far haven't found an easy way to brush them clean. Some times they get stained, and sometimes the caps are not sealant. And they don't come with a holder and that makes it worse. Discuss please. Any easy fixes/ideas?

Where can I get glass generic 5mL test tubes with corks?

How I feel about non-planted aquariums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

They do break easily and are impossible to clean.
Thats why I changed to JBL testing kits. Much better

Fluval 125L (Est Apr 2013)
4 Convict Cichlids (Amatitlania nigrofasciata)
2 Gold Angels (Pterophyllum leopoldi)
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:42 AM
Fear the Swamp!

I just rinse mine 3X with tap water as soon as I'm done testing and let them sit upside down to drain. I have noticed if I leave the testing agent in the tube for too long, it will stain the glass.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Pick up a couple Sera test kits ASAP. The giant (by comparison) tubes they use are much more sturdy and you don't have to cap them to shake for good test results. Just swirl for a few seconds.

(I use API liquids with Sera tubes - with the exception of GH & KH, Sera is better for hardness)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I bought A set of api test tubes (24 count) so i have a lot. During the process of cycling 3 shrimp tanks it made testing water params easy as i didnt have to wash test tubes until i was finished with all 3 tanks. I also bought a test tube rack off of amazon for like $7 shipped to hold all my test tubes. I clean my test tubes as soon as possible using tap and they are all staying very clean. (No brush needed)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower

the only thing that bothers me is that the lids don't seal when shaking
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 AM
Algae Grower

API test tubes...

Dany08fa, what a great idea! I'm on Amazon looking for a rack now. Just found the 24 count on there too, sweet.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany08fa View Post
I bought A set of api test tubes (24 count) so i have a lot. During the process of cycling 3 shrimp tanks it made testing water params easy as i didnt have to wash test tubes until i was finished with all 3 tanks. I also bought a test tube rack off of amazon for like $7 shipped to hold all my test tubes. I clean my test tubes as soon as possible using tap and they are all staying very clean. (No brush needed)
^^This.

You also get extra tubes when you have to buy other (replacement) test kits. I usually have to get more ammonia and nitrate kits, because I have 6 tanks, one bowl and a pond.

This is the test tube rack I got from Amazon. I paid more for the frigging shipping than I did the rack, because I didn't *need* anything else from Amazon at the time.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 AM
Green is good

As for the discoloration from leaving the water in too long, a spout brush and some rubbing alcohol removes it.

Wouldn't you like to beside the seaside?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
Any easy fixes/ideas?
Yes, stop testing. Seriously, though, what in the world do you guys need to test all the time?

Pimp Club Member #313
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Planted Member

I got a bunch of heavier glass ones from my son's old chemistry set and stole the holder as well. An easy holder is just taking a block of styro-foam...

Last edited by Elyssa; 05-02-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

A lot of us have severe cases of Multiple Tank Syndrome and monitor parameters toward the final week of our usual 4-5 week "cycles" for new tanks.

And many keepers of sensitive shrimp like to keep a handle on parameters once per week. Especially those new-ish to the hobby. Those of us who aren't new to the hobby often test new batches of water we're mixing up to make sure we've maintained proper GH. Depending upon the remineralization product one uses, concentrations can fluctuate from use to use or measure to measure. So testing can become added insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
Yes, stop testing. Seriously, though, what in the world do you guys need to test all the time?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
Some of the times I feel a need to test are when I add livestock, do a major rescape of the tank, add or move plants from tank to tank, or observe odd behavior from the fish or shrimp. I also keep a weekly watch on my new pond through testing.

And then there are those times when folks come to get advice on forums such as this, and the first question (if the answer is not supplied in the original post) is, what are your tank parameters?

I guess the OP may have intended this thread for all of us who are obsessive testers, huh?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use a syringe instead of a test tube.

I fill it to the 2.5ml mark and then use 1/2 the drops so my 90 test kit becomes a 180 test kit

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Planted Member

I turned (2) 55 gallon tanks into a big science/biology experiment for my kids. Testing just validates what is actually going on. There are so many different lessons to be learned and gives me a good excuse to keep buying different plants/setting up multiple tanks...all in the name of science...lol

In the long run how to make our veggie gardens go nuts this summer and maximize yields through their study of nutrients/uptakes/growth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode