Will this hold? one time... - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
The strength of the tank along the front and back are due to the vertical pieces of glass. In the vertical position, the glass has a high second area moment of inertia, which means it has a high resistance to bending. This is why I-beams are so strong and lightweight. Their strength comes from the center vertical web. Glass (especially tempered glass) is much stronger than most people think, it just has almost no ductility- it's extremely brittle. As long as the front and back panes are completely vertical (i.e. all corners perfectly level), then those panes act much like I-beams would and easily support the weight of the tank. What breaks tanks is any twisting of those panes... Because of it's low ductility, any twisting builds stresses that glass can only relieve by cracking (annealed) or shattering (tempered).

If you look at most store-bought stands, the tank doesn't touch in the centers anyways. Most people attribute this to poor manufacturing standards and throw some foam or something under the tank to "even it up." In reality, the only real concern is that all four corners are perfectly level and no torsional stresses are introduced to the glass.

Of course, the best course of action is to err on the cautious side and support the tank all the way around its perimeter. This can lead to other issues however, since then the entire stand needs to be absolutely level. Any "high spots" along the perimeter will introduce a point stress that is much more detrimental to the structural integrity than a stand that only supports the corners, as the stresses introduced in the corners-only case follow a uniform and predictable distribution and are spread throughout the entire length of the pane.

In short, a fully supported stand that is perfectly level all the way around provides the highest factor of safety. A stand with all four corners supported and completely level will provide a satisfactory factor of safety and you'll never have any issues unless the tank is of odd dimensions (in which you may need to calculate if only supporting the corners is indeed safe). The main concern should always be making sure the corners are level and no point stresses are introduced anywhere.
Wow! Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdnet View Post
Wow! Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated!
Not a problem! I'm a huge math/physics nerd so I could talk about this kind of stuff all day haha.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Only the corners need to be supported. Your stand is perfectly fine as long as all four corners are level and fully supported.

That's coming from a mechanical engineer... but if you don't trust me, here's some pics I found to illustrate the point.

WORD. Mechanical engineers are useful.

changing back to this again:
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Learn something new every day!

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The strength of the tank along the front and back are due to the vertical pieces of glass. In the vertical position, the glass has a high second area moment of inertia, which means it has a high resistance to bending. This is why I-beams are so strong and lightweight. Their strength comes from the center vertical web. Glass (especially tempered glass) is much stronger than most people think, it just has almost no ductility- it's extremely brittle. As long as the front and back panes are completely vertical (i.e. all corners perfectly level), then those panes act much like I-beams would and easily support the weight of the tank. What breaks tanks is any twisting of those panes... Because of it's low ductility, any twisting builds stresses that glass can only relieve by cracking (annealed) or shattering (tempered).

If you look at most store-bought stands, the tank doesn't touch in the centers anyways. Most people attribute this to poor manufacturing standards and throw some foam or something under the tank to "even it up." In reality, the only real concern is that all four corners are perfectly level and no torsional stresses are introduced to the glass.

Of course, the best course of action is to err on the cautious side and support the tank all the way around its perimeter. This can lead to other issues however, since then the entire stand needs to be absolutely level. Any "high spots" along the perimeter will introduce a point stress that is much more detrimental to the structural integrity than a stand that only supports the corners, as the stresses introduced in the corners-only case follow a uniform and predictable distribution and are spread throughout the entire length of the pane.

In short, a fully supported stand that is perfectly level all the way around provides the highest factor of safety. A stand with all four corners supported and completely level will provide a satisfactory factor of safety and you'll never have any issues unless the tank is of odd dimensions (in which you may need to calculate if only supporting the corners is indeed safe). The main concern should always be making sure the corners are level and no point stresses are introduced anywhere.
Thanks for that through explanation. It may take me some time to trust a stand built the way you say but as long as you got better than a "c" in your engineer class I think I can trust you LMAO.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
Thanks for that through explanation. It may take me some time to trust a stand built the way you say but as long as you got better than a "c" in your engineer class I think I can trust you LMAO.
A C is average. Thats solid lol.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Haha if you had a brain surgen work on you, would you want him to have a "C" or an "A" LOL
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Haha if you had a brain surgen work on you, would you want him to have a "C" or an "A" LOL
C's are A's in engineering school.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I personally have never asked any of my doctors their grades in school =<

You know what you call someone who has graduated med school with a D-?
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
C's are A's in engineering school.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
I personally have never asked any of my doctors their grades in school =<

You know what you call someone who has graduated med school with a D-?
DETERMINED!!

Haha, sorry Off topic
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Re: Will this hold? one time...

Indychus, question just so no one gets any bad ideas lol. That form of support does not work for tanks that have the glass inside the vertical panes, like an ADA tank correct?

I would think it really only implies to tanks that have a "trim" around the bottom?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ha ha an Ada tank on cinder blocks ! Now that would be funny , I wonder if Amano does that lol

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Indychus, question just so no one gets any bad ideas lol. That form of support does not work for tanks that have the glass inside the vertical panes, like an ADA tank correct?

I would think it really only implies to tanks that have a "trim" around the bottom?

It *should* still be ok, but I have never owned an ADA tank or done any calculations on what kind of support they would need. If you can afford an ADA, it's best to just buy a proper stand.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

After I read this last night I checked my two tank stands before going into work today. Sure enough only the corners are supported by the stand. Never noticed it before but they've been like that for a long while and haven't broken.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Re: Will this hold? one time...

Quote:
It *should* still be ok, but I have never owned an ADA tank or done any calculations on what kind of support they would need. If you can afford an ADA, it's best to just buy a proper stand.
Granted lol. But I would say on the safe side until you get back to us only use this method to support tanks with that plastic trim

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode