Buying used, chipped tank.. input needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Buying used, chipped tank.. input needed

Hello all,

I am looking to get back into the hobby and this will be my first planted tank. I am looking to buy a 150 gallon aquarium off of Craigslist. The tank has some chips in the edge and I was wondering if it would affect the stability of the tank and it's ability to hold water. I am going to reseal the tank prior to adding water. Would appreciate others opinions before I make the two hour trip to look at it.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Those are some large chips but the glass looks like it might be 1/2" thick.

Did the seller say it holds water? I personally wouldn't pay more than $1 a gallon for it but that would be after a very close inspection of the chips and their relationship to the abutting panels.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The owner doesn't know if it holds water. It was used to house a python. I can get it for less than $1 a gallon with a cast iron stand and heat lamps (that I can use with CFL bulbs). I just know I don't want 150 gallons of water on the floor, ruining everything.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would take the chance if I was in the market for that size tank and stand at that price. I would also use an epoxy repair kit on the outside chips and damaged sections to reduce any further damage and possibly lessen breakouts.

If after further inspection after bringing it home and you decide not to use it as a fish tank, you could always sell it.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

my 29gal has similar chips on the side, after being moved 3 times. i'm looking to replace it eventually, but it holds water just fine.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Planted Member

I'd wait a little longer for a better tank. It would be worth it to either save up your money, or keep checking for a tank that is in better shape. Sealing that thing would also really suck probably lol!

Freaked me out buying used tank even for a 20.

36g Bowfront
* 7 Green Tiger Barbs
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 05:39 PM

I would jump on it if you can get it for a steal (like a $50 steal). Those chips are pretty fugly but it doesn't look like they are impacting the structural integrity. If it has been holding a snake for a long time, you might have issues with the silicone sealing properly. If you pick it up, I'd let it sit outside full of water for several days.

If it were me and I could get it for a really good deal, I'd pick it up, disassemble it and trim the glass to remove the chips and put it back together. But that's a lot of work that a lot of people can't handle due to lack of space and supplies.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would buy it if its cheap and leak test it. Also you could buy some aluminum corner trim and silicone it over the chips if its only one corner and then use that part as the back. If you can get the aluminum under the top and bottom trim it would be a lot stronger
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's probably - PROBABLY OK. Just keep in mind there are no small disasters with a tank that size. Both the likelihood and magnitude of the disaster increases dramatically when you get into an iffy tank of those dimensions. That's quite a bit of thrust pushing on those joints. If it were me, I'd wait for another deal because I'd lay awake an night thinking about it - but I've seen what 100 gallons of water can do to a place LOL.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

eek! sorry, i missed that it was 150gal. i'd have to agree w/ James - "no small disasters" once you're at that size, + all the weight and pressure, it'd be too much risk for me personally.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
I would jump on it if you can get it for a steal (like a $50 steal). Those chips are pretty fugly but it doesn't look like they are impacting the structural integrity. If it has been holding a snake for a long time, you might have issues with the silicone sealing properly. If you pick it up, I'd let it sit outside full of water for several days.

If it were me and I could get it for a really good deal, I'd pick it up, disassemble it and trim the glass to remove the chips and put it back together. But that's a lot of work that a lot of people can't handle due to lack of space and supplies.
I think I am going to go this route. I am trying to talk them down some more, so if I do mess up cutting the 3 panes of glass it wouldn't be so bad..

Anyone have experience doing this? Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 03:04 AM

A smooth score line and running pliers will increase your chances of a good clean cut. Use oil on the cutter. You'll be tempted to run a deep score but it's not needed and will create ugly cuts
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've cut glass before and I will tell you, It's a lot easier to cut off a big piece than just a thin strip . So if its your first time try to take off as much as you can deal with. There are tons of videos to show you exactly how to do it. Good luck and keep us posted.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Repairing, reassembling a tank that size comes with the same warning mentioned above.
It's not like repairing/building a 20 gallon. Make a mistake with the type of silicone, mess up the joint (there are various ways to mess it up) and the price you pay can be significant. Good luck.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice. Is there anything I can do for a stress test other than letting it set outside, full of water? I plan to do that for a week or so after resealing it.

What is the difficult part of taking an one inch strip off? I am VERY green to the glass cutting aspect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode