Advice before I tear down because of BBA - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Advice before I tear down because of BBA

Hey Guys,

I havnt posted in a while but I'm still working on my tanks. However I am at my breaking point with my 55 gallon. The BBA has gone down and came back with full force and I am thinking the only solution now is tearing it all down and starting from scratch. I feel like this is the only way to really get a fresh start and at the same time change the parameters to prevent any further episodes. My swords, crypts, and ferns are just constantly being affected with BBA and now my drift wood has become a victim. I have tried scrapping it all off, using excel, reducing my photo period, increasing my Co2, adding an additional water circulation pump and moving around the CO2 diffuser.

My question is for you guys, are there any additional aspects I can change around to really make a last ditch effort or should I just stick with my plan and tear everything down and clean it off then start again. Has anyone tried this before with some decent success?

It's a 55g with a T5 HO 2 55w fixture, about 3 inches above the top of the tank. I know this is high lighting but I thought I had it under control for a while, especially with the addition of the CO2.

Any help would really be appreciated guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Remove all your stock and dump a full bottle of hydrogen peroxide. It will kill off all the BBA and your plants will love it
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should I leave the filters on with the hydrogen peroxide circulating? Also just do some large water changes before I re introduce the stock back in?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What do you have for stock? I had bad BBA and got 3 Bristlenose Plecos for my 36g within a week it was spotless.

So a guy walks into a Pet Store

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Algae Grower

As of this morning the BBA is essetnailly gone form my tank. I attribute this to the Excel Flourish. I double dosed 1x and turned off the CO2 for a day or two. Turned my tank very cloudy. Three day slater i turned back on the CO2 and the tank cloudiness went away. Then about 5 days later I did a 50% water change with tap water. Now 3 days after that the BBA has evaporated. Excel did not affect the fish, but melted all my val within a day or two (except for some roots that seem to be alive) and crypts. Everything else is fine. I am happy. Good luck!!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Re: Advice before I tear down because of BBA

Bba is a sign of low co2. Until you fix the problem they will come back.

Do large water change ang spot treat BBA with metricide 14, wait for few minutes before topping water.

Sent from HTC One device using Tapatalk2
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Shrimp View Post
What do you have for stock? I had bad BBA and got 3 Bristlenose Plecos for my 36g within a week it was spotless.
Bristlenose plecos don't eat living BBA. Siamese algae eaters will, I have heard.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Remove all your stock and dump a full bottle of hydrogen peroxide. It will kill off all the BBA and your plants will love it
Yeah... Umm. Sure. Great advice.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g][2.1g] - [waterfall] [grow][pond]
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
Yeah... Umm. Sure. Great advice.
At 5% concentration, which is the standard that is available in most stores, you will have a .1% concentration in a 55g tank. Provided with flow, heat, and a water change following the change in color of the BBA there is no risk. If you are truly worried as soon as you see the BBA to turn you can add baking soda to begin the neutralization process and do PWC's. the risk that h2o2 treatment provides is mainly to stock due to highly reactive oxygen bearing free radicals contained in h2o2, the effects of which mirror those of radiation poisoning in mammals. In plants these effects are decreased, the only noticeable effect when dosing amounts similar to what this scenario would entail is increased growth. Why do you think some dose hydrogen peroxide (some even use the 35% concentration variety available in health stores) with water changes?

Don't believe me? Look it up, it is often used in hydroponics.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...037598337.html

Hydrogen Peroxide ~ 30% hydrogen peroxide also is effective as a stimulant of germination. Very dilute hydrogen peroxide also accelerates later growth if used only occasionally.
http://www.rexresearch.com/agro/biochstim.htm

People assume that just because someone is uninformed and misuses a potential medication that it is a dangerous treatment. Do some basic chemistry, determine how much baking soda it will take to neutralize the h2o2 and proceed as you see fit.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Planted Member

Im a big fan of the hydrogen peroxide spot treatment. Worked like a charm for me.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Algae Grower

I HATE BBA! Every once in awhile my tank gets it, mostly on my manzanita wood. I just take whatevers coverd in BBA and put it in a big bucket fill it with water dumped quite a bit of excel in there and let it sit for an hour. After that I put it back in my tank and the next day it was all red. Soon after it was all gone.

Last edited by whipif; 04-19-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: misspelled
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Planted Member

FLOURISH EXCELL
that's all I do I promise it will work

just use double dose for about a week
I use MetriCide28 which has glutaraldehyde which is what is in Flourish excell
for right now I would invest in some flourish to get started but buy some metricide for future use cos it's like 10x's cheaper but you have to order it online and for right now you want to get started
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Planted Member

oh yeah and the best thing is you dont even need to remove fish or at least I never didnt
I'd love to hear back to see if you try it out and to see if it worked as well for you.

I just converted to Saltwater after 15+ yrs of freshwater so I have a whole new set of headaches I think i'd welcome a little BBA now
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You can also make a decision to go with low light from now on. That will make any BBA attacks grow so slowly you can easily kill them off and remove them at your leisure. You can use this chart to figure out how high your light fixture needs to be from the substrate to get around 20-25 micromols of PAR. Then you can use CO2, which you already have, and grow a pretty wide variety of plants well enough to make the planted tank experience enjoyable, and not just a war with BBA.

Hoppy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode