Buying used aquariums - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Buying used aquariums

Just wondering what your thoughts were on buying used aquariums?
How about former saltwater tanks or canister filters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like to reseal the seams on tanks that have been around for a while. This helps to safeguard against leaks and also makes the tank look much better if it comes with chewed up silicone.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Smaller tanks I usually have no issues with snapping them up if I have a need. The inspection is pretty easy: Chips, outter silicone beads (the part that you can feel on the inside) and making sure the trim is intact around the perimeter. Small scratches aren't a concern, but if there's a nasty haze it's a sump at best. If REALLY cheap, or even cracked, some make very inexpensive glass tops at the right thickness.

I would have 2 concerns with former SW tanks.
Coralline algae that's allowed to build up in spots for long enough will etch the glass surface, leaving slightly hazy areas behind. They usually aren't in viewing areas so the haze isn't the issue, but those areas now become a haven to some film algaes and become a real bugger to scrape clean, requiring nothing less than a fresh razor blade.

SW itself, MH lighting and even T5's can do some real damage to the centerbrace on larger tanks. If it looks severely faded, you should be at least doubtful that it would hold up well over time, especially after draining, drying, and re-filling. It's likely become somewhat brittle and may be on borrowed time. Yes, if it was built with a brace, it needs to be there when the tank is full.

In a nutshell, if it wasn't a SW tank for some years, I wouldn't expect more than any other inspection would detect. If it's been SW for a bunch of years, the inspection needs to go beyond the superficial aspects.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Re: Buying used aquariums

Thanks for your thoughts. I see a lot of large sw tanks on craigslist some seem like good deals but again not sure if its worth the risk. maybe its better to pay the extra for peace of mind. im sure its case by case and i suppose if i had more experience like you guys I'd feel more comfortable. I also live on the 8th floor of an apartment so having a leaking 40 gallon tank would not be appreciated.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Planted Member

Personally, I would never buy a used aquarium for saltwater if I planned on keeping ANY inverts. You never know if someone has dosed a tank with copper before to kill parasites. Poof = dead corals.

But that's just me. I figure if I have the money to do corals, I can afford a new tank too.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurufuru View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I see a lot of large sw tanks on craigslist some seem like good deals but again not sure if its worth the risk. maybe its better to pay the extra for peace of mind. im sure its case by case and i suppose if i had more experience like you guys I'd feel more comfortable. I also live on the 8th floor of an apartment so having a leaking 40 gallon tank would not be appreciated.
The truly sure thing doesn't exist with aquariums. Though rare, there have been leakers fresh from the store. The bigger the tank, the more time you should spend inspecting it.

If a bare 40B is what you're looking for You won't save much buying used compared to the Petco $PG sale.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Re: Buying used aquariums

Unfortunately my location doesn't participate in the dollar per gallon sale to often. They have 40b for$131. I still might buy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode