LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

265 lowtech plant fish stock suggestion

here are my plans:

100-200 cardinal tetras
60 rummynose tetras
20 preacox(neon dwarf) rainbows
4-5 rams(either german, golden, electric blue)
6-7 roseline sharks (large ones 4"+)
10 corys (albino or bandit)
10 golden chinese algae eater

still not sure if i wanna do discus, angels may eay my small ones.
any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

to many small fish.

i would do a nice group of center piece fish like 15 roselines/angels,discus. and a school or 2 of small schooling fish.

if u want discus. i would do 10-15 adult discus. and a school of rummynose. or roseline.

or a school of adult angels and school of roseline/rummynose.

but thats just me. it bugs me having a bunch of fish just swimming in all directions. i like rummynose cuz they are one if not the best schooling fish available.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't see an issue with a lot of small fish, provided that's what you want. I'm doing that in my 90 gal tank, and I really like how it looks.

I'd worry a bit about the larger fish your looking at, since they will likely eat cardinals. I'd say pick one general size and stick with in that range.

As for discus, if I was going to keep them, I would set up a tank more or less dedicated to them. This is because of there special requirements for heat and water quality. Check out one of the discus forums for more information.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A good-sized group of near adult discus would look superb in that size of tank, and if you are considering them, you could definitely keep them with your other planned tank-mates, (e.g. the Cardinals, Preacox, Rummy-Noses, Rams & Cories) which are compatible with discus and can handle the higher discus temps.
But I suggest you should omit to include Roseline Sharks, which get quite large, are very active, and may tend to be somewhat aggressive, stressing the discus, - and the Chinese Algae eaters, for the same reasons, and also because they would likely tend to take a liking to discus' slime coatings as part of theit diet, as they get older, larger, fatter and lazier.
Best of luck to you no matter what you decide to do.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I would love discus also but not sure if im ready for the commitment.

Im also quite committed to 5yr old and a 9month old baby. Hence lowtech for low maintenance.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Skip the CAE.

Bristlenose Plecos are much better, and there are some really impressive albinos with long fins. Worth looking for. They will breed in that large a tank, so just get one male, perhaps 2 females. Give them some caves.

Double the Cory population, but do some research. Not all Cories like the warmer water that you seem to be aiming at.
I would not mix fish sizes where the larger fish are over twice the size of the smaller unless you are very sure the larger have no predatory tendencies. Bristlenose Plecos are fine with smaller fish. Angelfish are not.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

some old pictures of angelfish tank.
Cardinal or rummy tetra are fine, angelfish grow up in the community tank, they don't see other small fish as food, if the small fish are not super tiny.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anything over 100 gallons is where I say screw the small fish. I'll take 1 angel or discus over 200 cardinals any day of the week. It's just a way more interesting fish. I wouldn't settle for anything smaller than a bunch of roseline sharks. I do have an affinity towards bloodfin tetras because they're larger than typical tetras and they school really nicely, but you have a monster tank and so I would fill it up with a bit larger fish like angels and roselines.

Just my opinion of course! I feel like everyone with a 30 gallon or under tank and has tetras wishes they had room for angels/roselines so if you have 256 gallons, man you owe it to us little tank folks to fill it up with amazing fish
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Suggestion.... what about some bigger rainbows like Boesman or Lacustrus? also, In a tank that size a schoal of Denison barbs aka, redline torpedoes would look awsome. Bigger fish, with the rainbows hangin around and the Barbs constantly moving about wouldbe a nice "base". I would then look at smaller scholling fish like rummynose or Harl, Rasboras. Good point on Corys. Sterbai do well in warmer water and get 20. Then get 15 or so Hatchets to take care of the surface. Haha , I like spending other peoples money
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreef View Post
here are my plans:

100-200 cardinal tetras
60 rummynose tetras
20 preacox(neon dwarf) rainbows
4-5 rams(either german, golden, electric blue)
6-7 roseline sharks (large ones 4"+)
10 corys (albino or bandit)
10 golden chinese algae eater

I'd limit the number of sp. but up the numbers for a more impressive display. Here are mid level, bottom level and cleaners that should live in relative harmony, selected by Region. You have a lager group at mid level, a group scurrying around the bottom, cleaners roaming all over. Basically something happening everywhere you look.

If your going small fish in 265gl....go BIG on commitment.

South America~
300 cardinals* or (but not both) 80 rummynose tetras
3 trios(1m /2f) of rams
40 corys.
48 Adult Ramshorn Snails

or
South East Asia ~
200 Harlequin Rasbora
10 SAE 2"...much better than CAE or Flying Foxes
40 clown loaches 2"*
200 Amano Shrimp

or
South East Asia ~
40 roseline sharks - 2" size*
24 Dwarf Chain Loaches
100 Amano Shrimp
100 Cherry Shrimp

* Eventually some of these sp. will need to be removed sold/traded
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I do not have the link at hand, but there is a web site for stocking limitation calculations. It factors in water changes, species size, etc. I suggest this because you seem to have a very full list. I'd look at it as "fish I'd like to keep" and prune from there.

My 220 has 11 angels and ~44 rummys plus a minimal cleaning crew of loaches and amano shrimp. Those large schools you list are huge and each would be plenty on its own with just a few of the larger dithers.

You might be happier with 6 or 7 different species, but it is a completely different feel from the kind of tank I have. Many fish of many species gives a more chaotic feel rather than the quieter scene I see. If your preference is for lots of action then keep your list but cut back on quantity.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658

Last edited by tomfromstlouis; 04-09-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: ..
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like the way you think dogfish.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

based on what everyones saying seems that those cardinals and rummynose, preacox rainbows wont school as a group if mixed all in together. correct?
thus become very chaotic?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would not say that they will not school, just that with that many fish crowding the tank, visually it would look more chaotic.

Rummys are famous schoolers, and a larger school of 20 or more is a sight to behold, but even they do not always stay together. A few wanderers mixing with wanderers of another species and soon you have a visual mix that is a whole different kind of brain input than a simpler more cohesive scene. I suppose some people might prefer it. Perhaps the same kind of people that prefer a house full of screaming children. Perhaps.

The cardinals and the rummys both (beautifully) occupy the same kind of niche; I suggest you consider one large school of one or the other instead of both.

These are not iron clad rules but preferences. Some people prefer tanks with dozens of plant species, some with just a few. I find looking at a tank a restful occupation and it strikes me as more restful when the overall composition is a peaceful delight for the eyes. You get to define what that is for yourself.

RAOK Club #76

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

good advice. hard decision...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode