265 lowtech plant fish stock suggestion - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like to stock the way Dogfish stocks too. Big school of bigger fish, bigger school of smaller fish, good amount of bottom fish and top fish.

It just depends whether it looks chaotic or not. Only half my fish are seen at any given time even though the tank is only 1/2-2/3 full of plants. My school of larger fish, Congo tetras, mostly stays put, front and center but not all would of course. My school of smaller fish, black neon tetras, mostly stay in ones and twos in the shadows. The platies and corydoras are the busy ones in my tank, Congo tetras and black neons don't move around all that much. Since the platies and corydoras are busy doing something I can identify with it doesn't look chaotic to me at all. If I had gone with rainbow fish instead perhaps the tank would be a lot busier. Am sure if I had gone with roseline barbs it would be very busy! Other tetras and barbs might act like my tetras but I suspect rummynoses and others are always on the go.

It wasn't easy for me to buy a larger fish as I much prefer fish to have lots of elbow room. I didn't even want a fish as large as an angelfish in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I adore your tank Kathyy, but I suppose you and I are near opposite ends of this spectrum on stocking philosophy, which shows you that lots of choices can work very well I guess. Your point about swimming activity is a good one. One group of active swimmers along with some more stationary or hiding types can work without being chaotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
.... I didn't even want a fish as large as an angelfish in there.
I cannot imagine what you mean.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Those Angels are gorgeous - great-looking tank !
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Planted Member

Dogfish's stocking plan is a good one minus the 40 clown loaches those bad boys get pretty good size 7-10" plus some get as big as 18" I would say my three are close to 8" but i definately dont follow the 1" per gallon rule. My 100 has 15 serpae tetras, 13 angels 3 clown loaches 6 blushing long fin tetras a dozen oto's 2 albino plecos one royal pleco....and a partridge in a pear tree.... I love the idea of 400 shrimp running all over the place. Check out the High Fin Blushing white tetras though they get good size for a tetra and their white semi transpartent flesh looks cool swimming around plants.

265gallons so stuff it full of swimmers, no matter what you pick for fish its a lot of tank so sky's the limit...

29g Tetra Tank
100g Planted Angel/Clown Loach
I can't spell...Im an engineer, I do math
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
Tom, they are amazing.

snooks fish or HAW?
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

4 are from Rio Inirida via http://www.villascityofangelfish.org/

7 larger are from Rio Atabapo via an Aquabid seller zebraplecofarm

Did not mean to change the subject! Well, not much.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post

Did not mean to change the subject! Well, not much.
I think you are on track, and dkreef will go for angelfish of some sort after you show the pictures of altums.
and not a bad idea to show where you got them from.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Anything over 100 gallons is where I say screw the small fish. I'll take 1 angel or discus over 200 cardinals any day of the week. It's just a way more interesting fish.
i'd think watching a large school of fish would be more interesting than watching a single angle or discus hate their life
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
i'd think watching a large school of fish would be more interesting than watching a single angle or discus hate their life
Well sure, but with 100+ gallons, you might have 6-10 angels or discus. Now you have a contest.

I am watching mine as I type. They float, they hover, they have a slow pace in general. Then one takes a short run at another, the group rearranges and soon you realize you are watching an endless slow dance of magnificence.

Schools of tetras are fascinating too. Their pace is faster, their interaction and feeding a whole different dynamic. I am glad to have both, and with 265g the OP can have several schools. The latest question is how many to put in the mix. I am pretty sure the answer will be more than one, less than ten.

Back to the OP's list of:

Originally Posted by dkreef
here are my plans:

100-200 cardinal tetras
60 rummynose tetras
20 preacox(neon dwarf) rainbows
4-5 rams(either german, golden, electric blue)
6-7 roseline sharks (large ones 4"+)
10 corys (albino or bandit)
10 golden chinese algae eater,

From that list, I'd pick one of the two schoolers, add the rainbows OR roselines, add rams and one school of cleaning crew (I'd lean corys). Voila: full tank.

RAOK Club #76

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This All makes me more indecisive. In perfect world where minimal maintenance is acceptable i would go 15 discus.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

It has been my experience that large tanks require a bit more than minimal maintenance. It is not so much that you have more too do, it is that you have larger volumes of what needs to be done. Waiting on a gravity drain water change and doing buckets is not the easy-way (nor fast (but not too fast!)) when large tanks are concerned. It gets tedious. Adding a large number of Discus, which require a tad bit more care than most species, only adds to the "more to do" list so that everything thrives.

Personally I would automate the water change and fert routines, shoot for medium light over a 4" thick+/- substrate, have pressurized CO2, have about 2000GPH of filtration and another 2000GPH of circulation, landscape driftwood and some overhanging roots, plant extremely heavily with medium-light/low-light plants and floaters, add 200 cardinals or neons, about 20 bleeding hearts, 21 cory cats, and a flock of 21 discus.

Once or twice a week EI ferts (depends on plant mass/feeding/water source/etc.).
I would expect to change 25% of the water weekly.
Filter cleans every other month.
I would expect a few neons/cardinals to be eaten.
Generally speaking of course.

Last edited by Paxx; 04-10-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: clarity ...
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreef View Post
This All makes me more indecisive. In perfect world where minimal maintenance is acceptable i would go 15 discus.
I just knew the angelfish photos would win you over! I'm sold! Heck, I even visited both suppliers in search of my next set.

It's a tough choice, but a good position to be in. I have four beautiful angels, a school of Rummy nose, and a small group of Cory cats in a 65g. A bigger tank would mean more of the above, but I did fall for discus first!
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It may take longer to change a lot of water but you don't have to watch the tank or work on it the whole time. Unless I am doing changes in the tank I have an hour to mow the lawn, vacuum, do laundry, wash the dog, just about anything. I do have to watch it when refilling the tank though, time to read TPT, pay bills fold the laundry in front of the tank.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use a small submersible pump to remove 50g and replace 50g (from an aged water barrel) in under 50 minutes, including refilling the barrel from the faucet with a Python. These pumps come in all sizes and bigger is faster (duh). It is really only enough time to trim a plant or two and scrape algae from the glass. The CO2 enhanced 75g takes way more time and effort to maintain.

Water changes are like brushing your dog: consider them quality time with your pet and everyone wins.

RAOK Club #76

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 07:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Re: 265 lowtech plant fish stock suggestion

Over 9000 shrimp.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode