New Iwagumi Setup, Check out the pics! Need some advice too. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New Iwagumi Setup, Check out the pics! Need some advice too.

The links below are some pics of my new 20 Long Iwagumi tank, finished planting yesterday, check it out.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...ps96ec1725.jpg

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1b89f5c6.jpg

To pre answer questions about the setup:
20 Long, Derimmed the top only of a cheap Aqueon
Ryuo Stones from ADA
Lilly pipe knock offs from Hong Kong for $45 (look fine to me)
Pressurized C02
Eheim Pro3E canister
The stand I made from a $60 iron aquarium frame and from recycled wood, early 1900's NYC building that was demolished. I bought it at "build it green" in Queens. The wood only cost me $18!! It was very easy to make and I think it came out great.

I have a few questions about the Amazonia New Type and Power Sand Special I used for substrate. I've done huge water changes everyday for the past week, pre plants arriving.
Ammonia levels still way up, Nitrites are high as well. I have an established filter hooked up to the tank, this used to be my quarantine tank filter that always had a source of ammonia being added in drops or fish.

Plants arrived yesterday so I had to get them in, I did two large water changes prior. I know it will take a few weeks for the bacteria to colonize large enough to handle the new bioload, the question is. Will the HC I planted easily get ammonia burn if it's above 1 or 2ppm? Should I do small 20% water changes everyday? Can I dose prime to detoxify? After all the hard work that goes into these setups, I'd hate to have my carpet burn and die. I want to just leave the tank alone and let nature take its course but I am afraid the plants will not suck up enough ammonia yet since they are not established.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Planted Member

first point that I would like you to note - 1) If your HC is emersed grown..you will have die off, as it'll be converting to it's submerged for - way out - light (on the higher side) + nuking tank with CO2 so that the transition happens faster. 2) there might be slight burn out (very rare) but nothing that it can bounce back with 3) Do a WC (min 40%) everyday for the first 15 days, helps in reducing the leached ammonia a lot, post 15 days wc every alternate day for another 2 weeks then normalize to once a week - this'll serve two purpose - a) keep diatome and other algae at bay b) reduce die off due to burn.

Now - I would request you to try something out if you plants as planted have been farm grown as emersed. DO NOT start off with a straight 8 hrs photoperiod, let the first week be for 4 hrs, then gradually every week onwards increase by an hour, this'll server 2 purpose - 1) will let the plants have a smoother transition to submerged form and lesser die off - reason under water the plant has to acclimatize to whole new set of environment and since it's habituated to draw atmospheric CO2 to thrive, underwater it'll have a shortage and under highlight it'll start using up all bicarbonates within itself and burn out of fatigue, so best avoid it. 2) keeps nuisance algae at bay - chances with this approach - you'll end up getting zero issues ever.

Hope this helps..if you need any more info, do not hesitate to shoot a PM

Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Algae Grower

Planning a similar set up so tagging along on this one. The majority of the set ups I have seen were planted at the time they were set up. Did you choose to run the filter for a while before added plants? Be interested to know the best way
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Algae Grower

Very nice tank, with a lot of potential. Your stand is extremely beautiful. Great job! Lots of times we neglect the ancillaries of the tank, and yours look great.
Dave
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftymeatballs View Post
The links below are some pics of my new 20 Long Iwagumi tank, finished planting yesterday, check it out.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...ps96ec1725.jpg

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1b89f5c6.jpg

To pre answer questions about the setup:
20 Long, Derimmed the top only of a cheap Aqueon
Ryuo Stones from ADA
Lilly pipe knock offs from Hong Kong for $45 (look fine to me)
Pressurized C02
Eheim Pro3E canister
The stand I made from a $60 iron aquarium frame and from recycled wood, early 1900's NYC building that was demolished. I bought it at "build it green" in Queens. The wood only cost me $18!! It was very easy to make and I think it came out great.

I have a few questions about the Amazonia New Type and Power Sand Special I used for substrate. I've done huge water changes everyday for the past week, pre plants arriving.
Ammonia levels still way up, Nitrites are high as well. I have an established filter hooked up to the tank, this used to be my quarantine tank filter that always had a source of ammonia being added in drops or fish.

Plants arrived yesterday so I had to get them in, I did two large water changes prior. I know it will take a few weeks for the bacteria to colonize large enough to handle the new bioload, the question is. Will the HC I planted easily get ammonia burn if it's above 1 or 2ppm? Should I do small 20% water changes everyday? Can I dose prime to detoxify? After all the hard work that goes into these setups, I'd hate to have my carpet burn and die. I want to just leave the tank alone and let nature take its course but I am afraid the plants will not suck up enough ammonia yet since they are not established.

That came out fantastic. I am from Queens, Bayside "build it green" must be fairly new like in last few yrs.

What type lighting is that?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The HC I purchased was grown on submerged mattes from my understanding. I need to a do a little research now to see if they were fully submerged or just emersed roots. They came on coconut shavings with thin metal grates holding it all together.

Does anyone else recommend a initial photo period of 4-8 hours? I was planning on 10 hours thinking it will establish roots faster. It's very difficult to do water changes since they can start floating if you have too strong a current.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

I like the stand, and it is very unique!
Good luck on growing and have fun!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Diggin that stand alot, fantastic set up.

40 Breeder|36" FugeRay|Aquaclear 110
Oto|Guppy|Danio|Kuhli|Swordtail

My 40B Work In Progress
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The light is a TMC GrowBeam Ultima 1500. It's a 6500K LED tile from the UK, I bought it because of the high PUR ratings the CREE led's have. I am pretty sure I can get away with just one tile but since the rocks create some shadowed areas I decided to order another. When I combine the two I can raise them up higher.

Since I went budget on the stand and actual tank, I wanted to spend the money where I really needed it, lighting and substrate.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

GregP I forgot to answer your question. The filter I am running already had bacteria growing in it as this was my quarantine tank before I decided to de rim and turn it into the Iwagumi. When it did not contain fish I dosed with Ammonium Chloride to keep the bacteria alive.

Just a little update, I've already noticed a drop in Ammonia after the 6 days of water changes. Think the filter is getting a grip on the bioload.

I was hoping to get some other opinions about the HC, I did decide to start with the lesser photo period for a week(4 hours), thanks for the advice Zico. Keep in mind there is ambient daylight that fills the room during the day so it's not a total blackout with the light off. No direct sunlight though. Since there is a lot of plant growth and runners being put out during cellular respiration at night I figured the shorter photo period can benefit the plant initially from shock and give it a chance to root and out compete algae. Please if anyone disagrees let me know what you think. Thanks
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I haven't changed water in two days now since I noticed a drop in ammonia, and the tank is cycled today. Zero ammonia and zero Nitrite. They were both off the charts two days ago.

I would definitely recommend if possible when setting up a ADA Amazonia substrate tank to hookup a filter that already has bacteria in it. Def helped speed things up.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 PM
ETK
Planted Member

Tank looks great! You might get better CO2 distribution if you moved the diffuser to the right side and moved the drop checker to the left side. Then the flow would be flow down past the diffuser, then across the HC carpet. Looks like you probably did it the other way so there are no tubes on the right side though. Probably a very small difference anyway.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

New Iwagumi Setup, Check out the pics! Need some advice too.

Looks great. And awesome stand. I got to check that place out.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Planted Member

That stand is lovely. I love repurposed wood projects. The tank's not bad either
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, I don't mind the look of a diffuser on the other side. I'll try to swap it over and see if the flow holds the bubbles down longer.

If anyone takes a trip to "build it green" they have great old raw materials but they are dirty and need work. It's a huge warehouse full of every type of distressed wood imaginable. Old rail road ties, bowling alley lanes, broadway sets torn down etc. You can find some great stuff for affordable prices but you definitely need to put your carpentry skills to the test. Keep in mind I am a camera man in television not a carpenter. Linked below is a bowling alley table I made for around $250. These sell for $2,000 plus online.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...psb8a5a48d.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode