Went to the LFS this weekend and picked up 10 Chili Rasbora. They are very small right now (1/2 inch max) and unfortunatley two of them got caught in the filter over the first night.
Luckily they were alive in the filter, hard to believe. They looked ok but i'm sure they took a beating. Also one of them looked very thin from to get go so I was worried about that one.
Anyway I wasn't sure if they got stuck because they were just too small or maybe it was because they weren't healthy to start. For the small and thin one I would say it wasn't doing well but i'm not sure on the other.
I took some porous sponge from a filter and put it in the Fluval 306 intake opening, making it impossible for the fish (so I thought) to enter the filter even if it was weak. Well to my surprise when i was counting fish tonight two were missing....oh oh!
So tonight I made it fool (maybe) proof by putting the sponge on the outside of the intake tube.
intake filter w/sponge cover:
Ferts and lights:
Today I received a package in the mail with some Seachem products, Excel, Prime, Neutral Regulator (low PH due to tree stump) and Purigen. I love these products and also use Flourish but didn't need any.
I also got two 25w Macro-Glo CFL 6,400k (1,600L) and they help brighten up my tank. Maybe not how I want it but better than the 15w variety. The problem i'm running into is I need CFL that is no bigger than 2'' at it's widest spot...this is due to the retro aluminum light fixture. DIY LED will be my best option but i'm worried about condensation. We will see what happens. The 25w bulbs will work for now, already seeing crazy growth in just a week since the Co2 addition.
Last Week (old lights):
Tonight (new lights and a lot of growth):
I'm going to list/update (in blue)
my plants and fish at the first post
That's it for now...stay tuned.