Metaframe Deluxe 28g Planted w/Co2 Build - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Kind of disappointing. Putting that tank in the basement. The basement? Oh the sacrilege. Oh, the pain, the pain. That tank needs to be displayed in the open not hidden in a basement. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
score on the driftwood! i love the pieces that look like the stump of a tree. they seem to be the most natural to me

awesome tank as well, wish i was lucky enough to find one for a good price
Yeah I didn't think I was going to find a piece of driftwood that easy and I was thinking I might get Manzanita wood (grows around here) instead but I saw this piece and knew right away this is the look i wanted.

Because it's so massive (for my tank) I think it will make most since to have not much if anything to the right of the wood. So the wood is the focal point of the tank. I'm looking around now for similar tank layouts to get inspired.

If anybody have any pictures of tanks that would have a similar layout please let me know and send me a link...

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Kind of disappointing. Putting that tank in the basement. The basement? Oh the sacrilege. Oh, the pain, the pain. That tank needs to be displayed in the open not hidden in a basement. You should be ashamed of yourself!
HA! It's my man cave, great place to hang out so it's all good. No i'm still not sending you my tank!
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got the substrate yesterday, the 40 lb. bag was huge but for $10 plus shipping was a great deal. So I already knew it would be reallly dirty as it's clay after all but wow, after rinsing it off it still looked terrible...

Here is how it went...

Here is the Safe T Sorb 40#

This is it after putting it in the tank, stump out:

After cleaning the filter and draining the tank and restarting the filter here is last night before lights out:

Here is the tank today, looking better:

It's not cyrstal clear yet but looking really good. I'll scrub it tomorrow, clean the filter and do a large water change and get start cycling it. And now that the substrate is in i'm really liking it and envisioning what it will look like.

Also picking up some Osmocote Plus tomorrow to fertilize the substrate.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 03:05 PM
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Absolutely amazing piece of driftwood. This tank is already one of my favorites. It looks so 50s Streamlined.

post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtejeda.arias View Post
You can always frost the background with spray paint
If you want to complete the "vintage" look, you might try to find the background paint we used in the 60's. It was a colored lacquer that you painted on, and it formed large crystal patterns as it dried. When lit by the tank's light, it was quite attractive.
Good luck,
Dave
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Driftwood looks great in that tank. Really cool looking.

18g (Red Cherry Neo Shrimp | Malawa Shrimp)
7.5g (Yellow Neo Shrimp)
3.2g (Pumpkin Neo Shrimp)
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Absolutely amazing piece of driftwood. This tank is already one of my favorites. It looks so 50s Streamlined.
Thanks, i'm liking it so far, now I just picked up some ferts and I will add them to the tank and mabye add a few MTS snails and a few plants I have a lot of like Frogsbit for fun. My goal will be to have ferns, moss, fissidens and Anubias Nana covering most of the wood.

Still deciding on what plants I want for the back wall and then what if any in the front... I have Dwarf Hair Grass and HC carpet in my 14g so I think I will go a different route here, just not 100% sure.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcKenz View Post
If you want to complete the "vintage" look, you might try to find the background paint we used in the 60's. It was a colored lacquer that you painted on, and it formed large crystal patterns as it dried. When lit by the tank's light, it was quite attractive.
Good luck,
Dave

Dave - I'm wavering on what to do with the back of the tank, one idea is to let it be and never scrap it so algae grows on it and the snails can have at it, but it won't cover what you see behind it 100%, well maybe a year down the road it may.

I also don't think I want to paint the tank, too much to do that to it now without emptying it and after all the work I put into shimming it I'm thinking no. But I could paint a piece of cardboard black and have it back there. Thats what I'm thinking about doing...only problem is you still can see the suction cups but better than nothing.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBliss View Post
Driftwood looks great in that tank. Really cool looking.

I added one lonley plant to the tank...got it in my bag when I bought an Amano Shrimp the other day for my 14g. I've seen this plant a million times but can't rememeber what it's called.

Anyway i'll upload the pic soon... becuase who doesn't like more pics!
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Went to take a photo of the plant and my terrarium i'm working on and this happened...

...she loves the tank as much as I do, and trying to keep her out of it is as much fun!
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update:

Well the tank is coming along nicely. Since my last post I have cylced the tank and parameters are perfect. I cylyed the tank quickly by adding first some snails and then a few cherry shrimp. I added a few plants, Anubias, Java Fern, Trident Java Fern, Java moss, Fissidens, frogbit and a few others I can't remember their names. The tree stump in the tank has lowered my PH considerably so I have added a PH stabalizer from Seachem and that worked nicely.

Now today I finally filled my Co2 tank set up the equipment for the first time and added a drop checker, which looks nice emerald green.

Oh and I also attended the GSAS (Greater Seattle Aquarium Society) anual auction which is huge and takes all day, quite amazing if you have never been to a big "everything aquarium" auction. I picked up some cheap ferts and chatted with friends. Everything I wanted for my tank went for big $$$. That's ok though...

Here are a few pics:

Here is my new Co2 setup all dialed in...

Here is a new front tank shot (it's getting there, not sure about the plants yet but I had these plants in another tank so if I don't like them or the placement that's ok. Also the tank is still a little hazy and I believe that is from the wood (tannins) and the substrate was very dirty so every water change it's looking better. I will add Chemi-Pur if it doesn't clear up after a few more water changes.

Lastly, I still don't like the background, and the fact you can see that tubing on the right so i may add a backdrop. I like the look of wax paper but when I tried it...not so much. Partly my problem was my roll of wax paper didn't cover the tank enough and I had to add more to cover it all and you could see the lines where I added more paper. Anyway maybe I'll try again. Plants will cover most of it anyway.

I also am getting closer to picking out my fish now that the tank has cycled. I'm for sure getting some Chilli Rasbora's as I mentioned on my first post and I think I will get them tomorrow or later this week. After those I'm still not sure, maybe a Panda Loach but at $25 a pop at my LFS that is money better spent somewhere else, for now anyway.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What an awesome tank. I really like the metallic light fixture, never seen one so shiny.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Awesome start & I agree that is a stunning piece of driftwood! WINNING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode