fluval fx5 spray bar? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

fluval fx5 spray bar?

Should I put a spray bar on my fluval fx5, it being used on a 90 gallon tank. 4ft.

The reason I ask is I am also going to have a secondary canister or pump for my CO2 reactor, UV and inline heater.

So I will have 2 drains and 2 returns in the tank. I am wondering if that will be way to much flow, and so to help drop that down a bit just use a spray bar on the fx5.

Been kinda stuck at this point for a few weeks how to connect my UV, CO2 reactor and inline heater up. I know I need either secondary pump or canister, have not decided on which one.

Really like to get my tank up and running soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you're handy with PVC you could build a manifold and run them all in parallel. I've seen a couple of people on here run them like that, maybe someone can chime in with some pics.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

i built one for mine. there are pics in my 125g journal.

i am not sure it is the best design, but it works good for my purposes i guess.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
i built one for mine. there are pics in my 125g journal.

i am not sure it is the best design, but it works good for my purposes i guess.
You have a really nice setup. Since you already have a fx5, do you think the fact I will be using it on 90g I should make spray bar? my tank 4 feet long. Assume using the default return would be to much flow for the 90g without the spray bar?

How do you have your heater, CO2 setup? Are they inline with the FX5? If so how did you set them up?

Thanks for your time.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Anyone else have any thoughts on do I need spray bar for 90 gallon?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You don't NEED a spraybar. Just be clever with your outflow position and you'll be fine. I'm running a cfs700 on a 90 right now with just one output and it works well.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
You have a really nice setup. Since you already have a fx5, do you think the fact I will be using it on 90g I should make spray bar? my tank 4 feet long. Assume using the default return would be to much flow for the 90g without the spray bar?

How do you have your heater, CO2 setup? Are they inline with the FX5? If so how did you set them up?

Thanks for your time.
i actually think that the spray would work better in your tank. You see i have to add a powerhead to my tank to improve flow. With the smaller tank, the flow from the spraybar my be just right.

BUT, like x-mas stated, you dont NEED one....

I run my co2 reactor inline, so i wanted the most equally distribution of my co2, and i figured that the spraybar could help me achieve that goal.

i only run a heater in the winter months, and i use a 300w drop in.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 AM
Algae Grower

yup nice and large tank, and DIY spray bar will do good
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
i actually think that the spray would work better in your tank. You see i have to add a powerhead to my tank to improve flow. With the smaller tank, the flow from the spraybar my be just right.

BUT, like x-mas stated, you dont NEED one....

I run my co2 reactor inline, so i wanted the most equally distribution of my co2, and i figured that the spraybar could help me achieve that goal.

i only run a heater in the winter months, and i use a 300w drop in.
Thanks for the info. I was going to put the return on the right next to the middle brace, and then put the drain on the left next to the middle brace. Do you think that would work?

Was thinking this might work, but not sure. I was also thinking I have to add second return and drain for CO2, UV and heater, with either secondary canister or pump. Just don't know, I cannot afford to get wrong as I don't have extra funds sitting around so been going back and forth for weeks on both spray bar and what to do about co2 and secondary items. Getting all confused.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Planted Member

You could always just use a standard heater and hide it with your scape.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtastic View Post
You could always just use a standard heater and hide it with your scape.
Yeah though, still need solution for UV and CO2 reactor
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 AM
Fear the Swamp!

I had 2 filters on my 125. One main filter (Eheim 2260) with inline heater ran to a DIY PVC spray bar that went along the back of the tank with water spraying toward the front of the tank. The second filter used a surface skimmer to help remove floating stuff along with any film that may form. This second filter (I think it was a Rena XP3) had a inline needle wheel pump for CO2 and I put this spraybar at the bottom of the tank along the back wall with the spray pointing up toward the first spraybar. With a heavy planting, this kept water moving throughout the entire tank at all times.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
I had 2 filters on my 125. One main filter with inline heater ran to a DIY PVC spray bar that went along the back of the tank with water spraying toward the front of the tank. The second filter used a surface skimmer to help remove floating stuff along with any film that may form. This second filter had a inline needle wheel pump for CO2 and I put this spraybar at the bottom of the tank along the back wall with the spray pointing up toward the first spraybar. With a heavy planting, this kept water moving throughout the entire tank at all times.
Thanks for the info, that might be an option. Wondering if I could get away with small filter for second, to run CO2, UV and heater. Was thinking Fluval 106, might not be enough though.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
Thanks for the info, that might be an option. Wondering if I could get away with small filter for second, to run CO2, UV and heater. Was thinking Fluval 106, might not be enough though.
Well, I found my 2 fluval 405s pretty cheap online. I don't know what your budget would be. I think it was a little over 100$ shipped for one.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Fear the Swamp!

The second filter doesn't need to be big as your main filter will do most of the work with water movement. As long as the filter can get the water back up to the tank and across the spraybar you'll be fine. If you use a needle wheel for CO2, make sure the pump and filter closely match each other in gph.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode