Pre cycling the filter media. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Pre cycling the filter media.

In about 2 weeks I will have my 84g tank. I bought a used fx5 and 2 boxes of bio rings for filter media

I dumped the bio rings into two large bag and added a cycles Ing for another tank to seed the rings. Both bags are submerged in a bucket of old tank water along with some plant leaves and a shrimp thy bit te dust watershed. I have an air line in the bottom to get a bit of water movement happening. If I start to administer a drop or two of ammonia per day will this essentially cycle the 2kg of bio rings and save me cycling the tank? (Or at-least greatly reduce the cycle time?)

It seems like a solid plan but I'm curious to see what others think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would dose the ammonia up to about 4 ppm, using your test kit to get it right. Other than that, I don't see why this wouldn't work.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Planted Member

on a much MUCH smaller basis i found that 500g of bio blocks from my established tank made a SIGNIFICANT difference in cycling time.

not exactly the same scenario, i know, since mine were straight from a running filter.

could you hook the new filter up to the existing tank in parallel with the existing filter to help seed it?

are you breaking down your old tank? you could transfer substrate and other hadscape to help speed up the process as well.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Pre cycling the filter media.

I will swap out a few more rings when I actually do the swap. The filter is a fx5 so it would destroy a small tank unless I was ale to turn it Down to a trickle.

I threw a cycled foam block in the bucket with it all too so it should help seed it more. Will having it sit in a bucket with an air bible underneath do the job or should I try and rig the fitter up to push water on and out of the bucket?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Planted Member

i would think that the bubbler should keep things active. possibly someone with more experience will be able to offer a more informed opinion on that..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode