Planted Tank Guru
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Wow - that's a tall order of questions.
But it`s a super-sized tank and I admire your guts for giving it a go, especially in a planted, low-tech (No CO2) environment, with DISCUS, if you go that route (and I would encourage that) !
- Your sump and UV sterilizer will be welcome and effective additives.
- And your T5 lighting as stated (assuming it`s H0) should be A-OK.
- Don`t add any more lighting, if you`re not planning on CO2 usage.
- Make sure (by testing) that your tank is cycled first, before adding any livestock, no matter how well the tank is planted.
- Plants: A good array that should do well in low-tech, even higher temp tank, include any Echinodorus (Swords), Hygros, Rotalas, Bacopas, Ludwigias, Crypts, Anubias, Java Ferns, Nymphaeas, Vals, Sags, & others.
- Substrate: Best imo, for that-sized, low-tech tank, and if keeping discus, I would suggest pool filter sand, using root tab ferts.
Tankmates for a discus community tank: be careful of rainbows & roselines - not particularly good discus mates.
PM me if you feel I can be of any further help.