What ate this leaf???? (Amazon Sword, pic inside) - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
What ate this leaf???? (Amazon Sword, pic inside)

I checked on my 55g tank today, and noticed that something ate one of the leaves off of my little amazon sword!

This totally pissed me off, cuz I think the growth of the amazon sword is stunted, I've been trying like hell to get it to grow bigger than it is (like 6 inches, it was a runner)... and here I come in, and the biggest leaf is just decimated!!!

the tank is a 55g dirted low tech tank (walstad method), and I guarantee no one is starving bad enough to want to eat my plants... the tank has been running almost a year now, and I've only seen this ONCE before, as a very SMALL little spot on the same amazon sword, and I thought nothing of it (thought maybe I had damaged it with a net or something).... but it was nothing like this D:

I've just been dosing a bit of excel (much at the behest of my vals, but oh well) the last month to combat a little bit of BBA and stimulate growth, but the sword has been loving that. It grew like a whole centimeter. :l AND THEN THIS HAPPENS!

The inhabitants are:
-4 Otocinclus
-5 Leopard Danios
-Boesemani Rainbows
-1 Zebra Thorn Nerite snail (can't be him, he was in a smaller tank with the mother of this amazon sword (it was a runner) along with others and they never touched that one)
-hitchhiker snails, no pond snails (mts, came in on plants)

SO WHO IS THE GUILTY PARTY HERE??!? This literally happened within the last 12 hours

Please help with any ideas on what could have happened to my poor leaf
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
Re: What ate this leaf???? (Amazon Sword, pic inside)

I would have to say it was the bosemani rainbows as they sometimes will eat vegitation. I could be wrong however.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
Nessy would be my first guess.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
lol... Has anyone encountered an issue like this with boesemanis before? I hope it's not them... those little turds, I sure feed them enough that they shouldn't be ripping my poor plants to pieces!! >:l

amazon sword eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode