Color variation in Boesemani, Praecox, and Turquoise Rainbows - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 158
Color variation in Boesemani, Praecox, and Turquoise Rainbows

Hi,
I want to get some rainbows for my 90gal planted. Maybe 3 Boesemani, 2Turquoise, and 4-5 Praecox.

I've never had or purchased rainbows before and there seems to be a LOT of color variation in these fish each time I see them in my local pet stores. Sometimes they look good, other times color is very faded and spotty. I do know they will color up better once settled in, etc. But..

When I'm looking at them in pet store, are there any tips for choosing specimens (for Boesemani, Praecox, Turquoise) that will increase likelihood they will look good once home;

or, am I better off buying from known suppliers (if so, who?);
or, is it luck of the draw and you get what you get.

Thanks for any help,
growitnow
growitnow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 442
In my experience rainbowfish will color up more when you get them in your own tank and feed them quality food. I've also heard as they get older and mature, their colors improve. I'm def no rainbowfish expert though. Rainbowfish.info has tons of info and rainbow experts.
jhays79 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ameri,CA
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
In my experience rainbowfish will color up more when you get them in your own tank and feed them quality food. I've also heard as they get older and mature, their colors improve. I'm def no rainbowfish expert though. Rainbowfish.info has tons of info and rainbow experts.
+1, fish in general won't alway look good at the lfs. They will color up after awhile. Also make sure you get an even amount of females too.
Kai808 is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 158
Kai808 thanks.

Any discriminating characteristics of m/f, that would allow the user to choose correctly at purchase?
growitnow is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
HD Blazingwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,907
males are usually taller bodied as well as longer fins
females of most rainbows and specifically the three u listed are more streamlined looking
for rainbows. u need a good amount for them to truly look their best. when males have to compete it brings out their colors better

so pick one of the three and get a good group going
i prefer praecox. and typical of rainbows. 3 females per male is ideal. 2 females per male is minimum
HD Blazingwolf is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 176
I have Sunset Rainbowfish. Mel. Parva. By the end of the day they end up washing out and looking kind of bland but first thing in the morning lights on they look amazing. Sometimes they get really colorful right after feeding time especially when given frozen bloodworms or something yummy to them.

I think it is almost a mood thing with rainbowfish so it is hard to pick them out in stores. I have a rainbowfish breeder local to me so I have never bought my rainbows from a store.
bradlgt21 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
HD Blazingwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlgt21 View Post
I have Sunset Rainbowfish. Mel. Parva. By the end of the day they end up washing out and looking kind of bland but first thing in the morning lights on they look amazing. Sometimes they get really colorful right after feeding time especially when given frozen bloodworms or something yummy to them.

I think it is almost a mood thing with rainbowfish so it is hard to pick them out in stores. I have a rainbowfish breeder local to me so I have never bought my rainbows from a store.
i find they largely appreciate good water change habbits
when i say largley appreciate. this is not an understatement.. my rainbowfish are the most active and playful on water change day. i change 80% weekly, and have a wet/dry filter. my water qualty is pretty much optimum at all times.
my rainbows are stuning day in and out, i dose EI ferts, extra micros. i also inject quite a bit of co2 dialy. my kamaka's added a few weeks ago spawn, my praecox at least one female is ready to spawn weekly.
always stunning fish. i should be getting a group of irian red's here soon and some more praecox
HD Blazingwolf is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Planted Member
 
Alaskan Fishface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Posts: 207
check with theses guys...http://www.rainbow-fish.org/forums/
Alaskan Fishface is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
i find they largely appreciate good water change habbits
when i say largley appreciate. this is not an understatement.. my rainbowfish are the most active and playful on water change day. i change 80% weekly, and have a wet/dry filter. my water qualty is pretty much optimum at all times.
my rainbows are stuning day in and out, i dose EI ferts, extra micros. i also inject quite a bit of co2 dialy. my kamaka's added a few weeks ago spawn, my praecox at least one female is ready to spawn weekly.
always stunning fish. i should be getting a group of irian red's here soon and some more praecox
I just got 3 Kamakas last week. They're awesome. Now I want a strictly Kamaka tank!
jhays79 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
HD Blazingwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
I just got 3 Kamakas last week. They're awesome. Now I want a strictly Kamaka tank!

Pretty much every rainbow i see is awesome. They more u buy, the more ull want. Im iffy on a species until i bring it home and it shows its true colors.
HD Blazingwolf is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sykesville, MD
Posts: 14
Color variation in Boesemani, Praecox, and Turquoise Rainbows

I have 3 kamakas in my tank and in the morning when the lights come on there blue color will have white in it and looks awesome. I love all my rainbows lots of personality always group up and come to the front of tank when I get close.
teaklejr is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
HD Blazingwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaklejr View Post
I have 3 kamakas in my tank and in the morning when the lights come on there blue color will have white in it and looks awesome. I love all my rainbows lots of personality always group up and come to the front of tank when I get close.
they should look that way all day....
even have some gold in the top half of the body...
the females as a territorial display can also flash a yellow/blue color on their head and back
the male's display is far more beautiful though
HD Blazingwolf is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida Panhandlle
Posts: 341
I have 7 turquoise, they were very pale when I got them it seems maturity and growth has been what has brought out that deep blue top half of the fish. also the lighting in the tank can either show off their color or wash them out (depends on how the light reflects off their sides)
they are deeper blue first thing in the morning and water changes get them even more active then their usual selves.
the males flash a bright white/yellow line from nose tip to nearly dorsal fin when they are "showing"
Meganne is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome