0 Nitrate levels in planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

0 Nitrate levels in planted tank

So I set up a Fluval Spec V, planted and cycled the aquarium. Added fauna, pressurized CO2 and upgraded the lighting to a Finnex FugeRay 20. My plants have taken off and overall it's doing well with the exception of some hair algae. However, my nitrate levels have dropped to 0. I have 2 Endlers, 2 Scarlet Gem Badis, a Sparkling Gourami and a few RCS. The nitrates in my 29G have always hovered around 10-20 ppm and that tank has been very successful with no algae issues whatsoever. For the Spec, should I be doing something different to increase nitrate? I feel that I'm possibly overstocked but everything is doing quite well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

Unless you have very nutrient rich substrate and mostly stem plants, you may start seeing the signs of nitrogen deficiency. That includes plant deficiencies and algae growth potentially starting.

However. If everything is doing well, your plants are growing to your satisfaction and you are not seeing algae indicative of nutrient deficiency, I would not change anything.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Algae Grower

0 Nitrate levels in planted tank

I think you're asking for trouble... I would dose. It's cheap and, in my case, solved a myriad of algae problems and plant health issues.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. I use Flourish products in my 29G. Should I be dosing nitrogen or purchase some dry ferts?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Use up your Seachem Nitrogen since you have it already, and when its done invest in some dry ferts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
Use up your Seachem Nitrogen since you have it already, and when its done invest in some dry ferts.
Thanks for the help. How do I know if Flourish Nitrogen is being dosed at proper levels? Will it show up as Nitrates on a test kit?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyZ View Post
Thanks for the help. How do I know if Flourish Nitrogen is being dosed at proper levels? Will it show up as Nitrates on a test kit?
Yes it should.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It should register on a test kit. The recommended dosage is fairly small, intended to be at least moderately helpful - yet inoffensive - to the majority of people.

The thing about adding just one nutrient, is that by increasing plant growth, it increases uptake of others nutrients as well. Which may lead to a new plant deficiency, or even a new type of algae. Be prepared for this possibility. I don't know what you're currently dosing, but if you aren't dosing potassium or iron, these are the two most likely.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
It should register on a test kit. The recommended dosage is fairly small, intended to be at least moderately helpful - yet inoffensive - to the majority of people.

The thing about adding just one nutrient, is that by increasing plant growth, it increases uptake of others nutrients as well. Which may lead to a new plant deficiency, or even a new type of algae. Be prepared for this possibility. I don't know what you're currently dosing, but if you aren't dosing potassium or iron, these are the two most likely.
All the replies have been extremely helpful. I have Flourish potassium and Iron as well as Nitrogen, and regular Flourish. I have only been dosing the regular Flourish at half the recommended dosage and have seen good growth and a a lot of pearling on my plants. I will begin dosing the nitrogen and keep on eye on any possible nutrient deficiencies.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Jimmy, plug in your premixed ferts and the rest of the info and play around with this calculator. It should help you better understand whats going on.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Jimmy, plug in your premixed ferts and the rest of the info and play around with this calculator. It should help you better understand whats going on.
Sorry Blue but I don't see any calculator.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyZ View Post
Sorry Blue but I don't see any calculator.
Forgot to hit CTRL+V.

http://calc.petalphile.com/
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Forgot to hit CTRL+V.

http://calc.petalphile.com/
Wasn't sure what to expect when i saw the name of the link but is really useful. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode