The aquaplantarium (should I get one) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The aquaplantarium (should I get one)

I have been researching to buy a new aquarium. Was looking into the aquaplantarium by DAS systems. Really like the design of them. Does anyone have any experience with these. The high cost of them is not an issue since I found a pretty sweet deal on one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

If it make any difference the one I am looking at is 85g.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cool

Are they open on top? Seems like you would lose a lot of humidity that way. A deeper aquarium partially filled would work better IMO.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

I wouldn't do it unless you absolutely love the tank.

You can definitely get nice equipment that looks better for less.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No they have an angled piece of glass that closes up the top, (part of the design I just love) and vents that you can adjust for the humidity. I guess the main thing i'm worried about is I like using sumps and aside from drilling holes into the aquarium I am wondering if this can be achieved. I have only seen videos and them set up at the LFS. I know its hard to believe, but the employees at said LFS were being aloof and did not seem that interested in helping me.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Like I said I'm getting a really good deal on one that was bought only a couple months ago. I am getting 85g plus 48" LED plus fish/gravel/plants for 750. Tank alone costs 1300 at LFS so I would say that's a hell of a deal.

somewhatshocked

Can you point me in the right direction for a comparable tank?
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not wild about the rock wall in the back but figured it would be planted and i'm really into moss walls as well. Also all the vids I have seen have been very lightly planted, I am guessing this is due to them being either new tanks that haven't grown out or they are dealer tanks where they sell the plants so they want customers to see each type of plant.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It looks gimmicky to me.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

$750?

Absolutely get something else.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah the video is definitely gimicky as hell. Not worried about that just like the design of the tank.

somewhatshocked

Obviously I would never but one new at the LFS (the 55g model was over $900) but $750 seems like a legit deal to me. If I bought a regular 85g tank a stand, the filters, pumps, LED lights, gravel and livestock that would cost way more than that IMO. I am not trying to argue with you here but why do you feel it's not the best option? Can you give me a little something more to go on here? Have you owned one? What would be a better option?
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Planted Member

I tend to be heavily focused on DIY and buying used equipment so I may be biased, but If I were in your shoes I would consider two things-

1) When you get into specialized complex designs like this, and you buy commercial, you're locked in to what the vendor came up with. If you design a riparium or paludarium from scratch, you can get the exact layout you want.

2) Resale. These things are an incredibly small market. If you ever want to change your mind, will you stand a chance of getting your money back out of it?

Also, the $1300 price you quoted for JUST THE TANK makes me want to puke! Grab a used 75 or whatever from Craigslist, spend some quality DIY time, buy the lighting and filtration used (the one you're looking at is used anyways, right?) and I bet you can come out at a fraction of the $750 they're asking...
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks All your base. I do like DIY projects as well but I have never attempted a paludarium and would want to start with something smaller. Have plans to do one eventually. Yeah 1,300 would be rip off, and I would never spend that. It is used but only for a few months.

I find DIY can be a blessing or a curse. Most people who post them on here are not going to post a failure on here and doing it the first time around on something a expensive as a 85 g tank can be intimidating. I would rather spend the money on a finished product than an expensive DIY eyesore. Probably not the most positive attitude on tackling a project but I'm just trying to think practically.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Planted Member

I appreciate your level-headedness and you're right, in many situations it does make sense to buy off the shelf.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Definitely don't think you're arguing at all. As others have pointed out, you can come out for way less than $750.

You could get a tank, nice filters, an LED fixture, nice substrate, plants AND livestock for way less than that. Heck, you could even pay someone else to do all the faux background work for you and still come out ahead.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok so other than them be ungodly expensive are there any downsides? Obviously the biobox or whatever they call it is just a reverse flow UGF and they have a pump to circulate the water and power the waterfall. Is that it with filtration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode