Is there such a thing as an "organic aquarium"? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question Is there such a thing as an "organic aquarium"?

Hi, Im new here, but not new to the hobby. Everybody has heard of organic gardening, but just wondering if anybody has had any experience with organic fish keeping. It seems like you would have to live next to a river, lake or ocean. I googled it, but really didn't find anything other than the organicaqua.com website, but it doesn't say what's in their products. Organic gardeners use fish emulsion in their gardens and lawns, could it be used in place of chemical aquarium fertilizers? It seems like this would be the natural evolution of fish/aquatic plant keeping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What do you mean by "organic?" Fish, plants, invertebrates, bacteria, are all alive, so every aquarium is organic. If you mean no fertilizer added, that's the majority of people who have plastic plants and don't know what they're missing.

For the most part, the current trend of "organic" everything is just a marketing ploy. I've even seen organic water in the grocery store before ... water is about the only thing you don't want to be organic.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

This is comedy.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:38 AM
SCAPEr

Maybe OP meant no man made fertilizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
If you mean no fertilizer added, that's the majority of people who have plastic plants and don't know what they're missing.
I don't use ferts in my tank o.o
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't use ferts either, I can't afford enough light to justify it. That being said, I don't know if there are organic ferts or not... But I just spent a week researching soils to dirt a 55 and most (not all) brands have the exact same thing in their normal soil as their "organic" soil... They just label it "organic" and mark it up 33%. That, combined with nearly everything from produce to t-shirts being labeled as "organic" nowadays makes me think that the term doesn't mean much. Maybe I'm wrong... but I'd rather be wrong than be a sucker.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Indychus;2675218]What do you mean by "organic?" Fish, plants, invertebrates, bacteria, are all alive, so every aquarium is organic.QUOTE]

Ok, thanks for the high school Biology crash course, but by organic I mean completely natural with no declorinators, no glutaraldehyde or any other synthetics that wouldn't be encounteded naturally, in the environment. Sugar and yeast to make Co2 is an example.

[QUOTE=Indychus;2675218]For the most part, the current trend of "organic" everything is just a marketing ploy.QUOTE]

Sounds like something you were fed on Foxnews. You probably shop at Wal-mart too. If you knew how organics work, you would realize how moronic this comment is. But time will tell, and keep using your Miracle Grow. Long live the Salton Sea, Long live Wal-mart.

Make your own opinions, think outside the box. But then again, there would be no leaders without followers.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 AM
Planted Member

Check out AQUAPONICS. Thats one organic way of keeping an aquarium. As to the word "ORGANIC" being toss a lot, It only refers to doing things as natural as it can be. So I guess you can use dirt, and not use any chemicals including aging your water instead of adding prime, etc. etc.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear the Beard View Post

If you knew how organics work, you would realize how moronic this comment is.

Make your own opinions, think outside the box. But then again, there would be no leaders without followers.
I understand perfectly well how organics work. I also understand that the process and associated costs of certifying products as "organic" ensures that the small producers who actually have natural products can't legally call their product organic and be competitive with large industry. And, believe it or not, I also posses the ability to notice that around a third of the products in my local market are now labeled as organic without Fox news (which I have never watched; I don't own a television) telling me so. I doubt that major brands like Tyson and Heritage Farms suddenly changed their practices and cleaned up their act, yet their organic products are right next to their normal stuff, just relabeled and more expensive.

I made my own opinion (as you suggested), and expressed it. I'm sorry if you disagree, and I apologize for debating the semantics of the issue on a site dedicated to aquariums. Good luck in your endeavors, I hope someone will come along who can answer your question to your liking.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ever thought about growing organic yourself, so you know its organic? ..and its cheaper. You don't have to depend on your grocery store.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I have a small garden, but not enough to sustain my family due to lack of space. My fertilizer consists of home-made compost and horse manure. Still have to buy meat from the grocer though, and I'm not giving up my bacon.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear the Beard View Post
Hi, Im new here, but not new to the hobby. Everybody has heard of organic gardening, but just wondering if anybody has had any experience with organic fish keeping. It seems like you would have to live next to a river, lake or ocean. I googled it, but really didn't find anything other than the organicaqua.com website, but it doesn't say what's in their products. Organic gardeners use fish emulsion in their gardens and lawns, could it be used in place of chemical aquarium fertilizers? It seems like this would be the natural evolution of fish/aquatic plant keeping.
There is the published works of Diana Walstad.
(suggest buying the book)

Barrel-ponics (a.k.a. Aquaponics in a Barrel)
By Travis W. Hughey, Copyright 2005
http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/e...rel-ponics.pdf

Look at what Dogfish is doing or send him a PM question.

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My take on this is that the term "organic" itself is loosely interpreted depending on the context. An aquarium is like an organic reactor. There is constantly something breaking down and something growing.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
If you mean no fertilizer added, that's the majority of people who have plastic plants and don't know what they're missing.
we've got this whole subforum here dedicated to those people with no ferts and plastic plants http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fo...play.php?f=100
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
we've got this whole subforum here dedicated to those people with no ferts and plastic plants http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fo...play.php?f=100
wth?

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
wth?
a joke on Indychus for saying that people who don't use fertilizers have plastic plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode