Fertilizing Methods - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
PTrader: (1/100%)
Fertilizing Methods

I recently started a Low -Tech Excel based 90 gallon planted Tank. I use R/O water (personal preference/I raise Discus fish which prefer softer water then most other freshwater fish) along with Kent R/O Right as a water conditioner and to replace micro nutrients like Calcium and Magnesium.I also started using Seachems Flourish as another source of replenishing important micro nutrients. I am Dosing Flourish Excel daily as a starter. My question lies in the use of Macro nutrients. I'm beginning to use Seachems Nitrogen,Phosphorus,and Potassium as a source of Macro nutrients. I noticed on one of the Forums that instead of Dosing with the Macro nutrients I mentioned, that one can use dry fertilizers such as Potassium Nitrate (KN03) and Potassium Phosphate (KH2P04). Are those nutrients alone sufficient for plant growth and are there any danger in using them (rising nitrate levels etc...) I would also like to preform my weekly water changes. Are there any problems that I would be creating by doing so. Looking for advice. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Algae Grower
PTrader: (0/0%)
I may not be the best person to provide info however I am kind of in the same boat. I have ordered micro/macro from aquariumfertilizer.com. It's kind of a all-in-one fert. If you look at website it will describe all the ingredients and the percentage.

If you want to save money go dry fert. Also, if you want to really save money go to a hydroponics place or online and buy what you need in seperate quantities. And make our own mix. Which is prob better for a non co2 setup.

Your plants wont uptake all the nutrients as efficiently without co2 but the excel will help. Weekly water changes should reset the water parameters and you should be safe from algae.

This is simply from the research and reading I have done for the last couple months. It's taken me quite a bit of time researching and filtering through a lot of garbage on the internet and come up with the best I can. There will be so so much contradictory info on the internet/forums and everyone will have an opinion. It's up to you to source out credible and safe information and make your decision based on that.

If you try and follow what every forum, article and "expert" says you'll end up with a brain full of info that is contradictory and misleading. And like me on the border of a information overload with numbers and science stuff that quite frankly I don't understand.

So, for me a all in one formula is the best choice. I want to make this hobby enjoyable and as easy as possible

My understanding is this:

More light will require more co2 which make the plants more efficient at nutrient uptake. Which cuts down on algae but needs more fertilizer

Low light or moderate with no co2 plants will be really slow in growth, nutrient uptake and efficiency and probably easily taken over by less demanding algae forms.

If a person is on a treadmill and burning water and calories the More they'll need to replenish there body. But what they put in is used more efficiently.

If a non active person put the same calories and water in there body they would gain weight as they are not burning it off.

So, treadmill person is co2 high tech and low tech would be a couch potato. So the couch potato needs less intake to maintain there body mass and metabolism

Last edited by aquaman911; 02-16-2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode