The Planted Tank Forum banner

How hard would it be to have a tank with a lobster in it?

3K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Action53 
#1 ·
Like one from a grocery store. Not that I'd actually do it but me and the old lady are out to eat at Red Lobster and looking at the "pick what you eat" tank got me thinking.

#7 ·
Im from Maine...originally actually I use to skin dive for lobsters as a kid to earn money in high school. got paid .75$ each to catch them. you could get away with a single one in a reef but in ideal conditions they get large even a two to three pounder would destroy a reef tank in a short time....and if you had any slow fish they would either get pinched and damaged or damaged and eaten. they are rediculous scavangers that eat and crap all the time kinda like the seagull of the crustacean world, although lobster is better eating. You could possibly have one in a fowler style reef tank but the rock would have to be glued or really secure, and your filter sump would have to be about half the volume of the tank. The ones in stores and resturaunts dont last long in the tanks. The fishery we sold our lobsters to was on a ocean dock beside the coast guard station and they pumped fresh seawater into there holding tanks from below the dock.

#13 ·
I had a dream where I raised Maine lobsters to breed and eat... but in my dream I had a giant indoor saltwater aquarium and was a billionaire... so yeah... Dreams. LOL I miss living in New England

Sent from my phone, in the land of magical unicorns and rainbows!

#14 ·
I have thought of doing this. In our science dept we have an all-in-one tank system with a chiller. Nobody wants it in their room because its about 3'x3' and just doesn't fit anywhere. I still would like to set it up and go down to the local grocery store and pick out a nice colorful chicken lobster!

#20 ·
I once went to my LFS looking for khuli loach. The attendant there kept them with a bunch of blue lobster and the loaches are all hiding under the decor. Once disturbed by the attendant, it was mayhem! Sorry to say but I didn't wanna bring home loaches cut into pieces..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.