The Big Kill (with CO2). Was - D*mn it. Damselfly hatched in tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Big Kill (with CO2). Was - D*mn it. Damselfly hatched in tank.

I'm re-starting my 200 gallon heavily planted tank - high light with moss, swordplants, anubias, hairgrass. I'm trying to make it more of an ecosystem than a "fish tank" - I'm growing all kinds of critters in it right now (cyclops, daphnia, MTS, worms in the substrate, etc.) Once I get it all stabilized I'm going to add just a couple of small cichlids, probably rams, & let them go to town & see where everything stabilizes.

Right now the tank is in the "extreme green water" stage. Which is OK, because I've got daphnia & cyclops in it.

Problem is I opened up the cover today and found a newly molted damselfly.

Not the kind of critter I wanted in the tank.

It obviously hitchhiked in on some plants I put in the tank, either as an egg or larvae (along with the cyclops and lots of other small crawlies I don't mind).

I don't know if I've got more. I have no fish, and so I suppose I can just wait until any larvae hatch and die in the canopy. But there's no way I could ever see them or catch them if they're in the larval stage, even if I didn't have green water. Too many plants & rocks.

Or should I just remove enough of my invertebrates to restock and just wipe out all (animal) life in the tank? If so, how?

Last edited by cheesehead; 02-16-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Change in title.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower

Do you have a co2 canister? If so just run it on max for a few days and everything will be suffocated
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdestry View Post
Do you have a co2 canister? If so just run it on max for a few days and everything will be suffocated
Hmmm... that's an appealing option. Won't hurt the plants... Running on "max" I'd probably drain my cylinder - any idea about a target CO2 concentration? I can set the controller to regulate to a specific pH & CO2 concentration...

It would also help me get rid of the pond snails whose eggs apparently also hitchhiked into the tank.

Last edited by cheesehead; 02-14-2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: just edited
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 AM
Algae Grower

Not sure of a specific concentration, but a 200 gallon is pretty large so you might have to run it pretty high to get it to levels where nothing can breathe inside.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had the unfortunate experience of damselfly nymphs in a shrimp tank. Shrimp were happy and reproducing like rabbits, but the population suddenly (drastically) started 'going south' in a matter of two months. Could not figure out what was going on until I removed a large clump of needle leaf java fern. I decided to shake the clump out over an empty bucket just in case any shrimp were trapped inside the giant mass of fern. To my surprise, a DF nymph ended up in the bucket. Bingo ~ figured out why my shrimp population suddenly declined.

Definitely some tough critters. From my understanding, they can remain in the nymph stage (underwater) for a year or more until fully grown. I ended discovering a few more throughout the fishroom and was able to physically remove them. They are experts at hiding within plants, and from what I found out, they do a lot of their predatory hunting at night time. If you do have nymps in your tank, I'm pretty sure they are feasting on your cyclops & daphnia.

I've heard that shelter traps have had some success (e.g., overturned clay flower pots, etc.). Had a friend tell me that crays solved his damselfly nymph problems. Never tried chemicals or CO2, so I don't know if it would help your situation or not (although, if in strong enough concentrations, I'm sure they would definitely "do" the deed - but don't know what other types of collateral damage would result). Maximum CO2 injection sounds like an interesting solution. If you go this route, let us know the result.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

More than likely there aren't a whole lot more of them. I would just leave everything be and if there are still a few they will just develop like you say and once they molt out as adults and that will be the end. I don't think they would be able to reproduce in there very well.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Going with the CO2 route... Just took a small picking of snails and enough other critters out & put them in their own 55 gallon tank. My own little ark.

With luck I'll get rid of the pond snails that have also hitchhiked into the tank.

Tags
damselfly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode