Getting rid of the "Freshwater Limpet - Acroloxus lacustris"? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ugh. This is so irritating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Algae Grower

Resurrecting this old thread because I have something new to add to it and it may help folks in the future with this issue.

I too, had this problem and googled everything I could find to try and get rid of them... It would have been fine if it was just a couple of them, but their population exploded and they covered everything. Squishing was to no avail. There were just too many. It looked like my tank had a bad case of acne. As it was only a 40G Breeder, loaches were out of the question.

I tried everything I could think of, *outside* of the tank. I set up another 10G and put a sample of all the plants I had in my main tank in it and nucked that tank with everything I could think of... First I simply tried Ace Hardware Ammonia at about 1.5ppm. Kept it at that lever for a week and a half. THEY LIVED THROUGH IT!!!!!

Plan #2: Tetra Algaecide. For 3 weeks. They just laughed. I think I even saw one waving a tiny limpet middle finger at me...

Plan #3: Copper. Therapeutic levels for 2 weeks. Die you little bast@&%ds! Die! Die! Die!!!

Plan #4: No Planaria. Made the water totally gross. They just threw a party. And didn't invite me. I was so depressed.

Plan #5: Desperation. Ammonia at 1.5 ppm, copper at therapeutic levels and Tetra Algaecide all at the same time - for a full month. Finally!!!! Success!!! Death to Limpets!! Death to them all!!!! I threw a party... and I didn't invite any limpets.

But yeah, okay. So I probably couldn't do that to my main tank. So I decided to use the 'sterilized' plants from the 10G test tank, bleach everything else, new substrate and start again. Sigh.

But I was saving up for a rimless, and figured I'd have it in a month or two, so I put it off. While I was waiting, I added a 6 pack of cute little otos. A week later I happened to walk by the tank - and stopped dead in my tracks. OMG - I could see through the glass.... Where were all the limpets???

I love my little otos ♪♫♪♫ I love my little otos ♫♪♫♪ I love my little otos ♪♫♪♫!!!!! They're acting just like tiny little loaches, and the limpets seem to be perfectly oto-sized! I still see a limpet here and there, and when I do I squish. But I so rarely see them anymore that I'm fine with it.

Did I mention that I love my little otos?

Hope this helps someone else!

-Sharon

low tech planted 5 gallon with 1 Betta Fish
low tech planted 40 gallon breeder with 2 Goldies
High tech planted 15 gallon with 1 Betta Fish, 6 Panda Cories and Bloody Mary Shrimp
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am glad to hear it. My ten-gallon betta tank is overrun with limpets. I had to move my oto out a while back because the betta was threatening him. However, right now the betta is in hospital tank- so... maybe I can move the oto back in temporarily and see if he'll eat up most of the limpets?

I'm going to try.

10 gal planted- male plakat betta, two nerite snails, malaysian trumpet snails | 38 gal planted- cherry barbs, kuhli loaches, oto catfish, nerites, mts
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No idea otos ate limpets. Aren't they the ONLY certified shrimp safe fish?

Limpets piggy backed on some plants into my tank a few yeras ago. I took everything out of the tank. Soaked all the plants and rocks in alum for a day or so then in potassium permanganate for about a minute (then dilute with hydrogen peroxide). Rinsed them clean and return to tank.

The substrate is replaced with new one.

No limpets ever since. I do alum soak every time before introducing new plants in my tank now.

My journals: 60F - 60P - Aquatop Cube - 22G Long

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode