Hello everyone I currently have a 29g planted tank that is about six months old. Here is the info about the tank.
- 4 bulb t5 corallife fixture. I currently have been only running 2 bulbs. 1 6700k and one 10000k I have one 6700k turn on and then 2 hours later the 10000k turns on and run for 4-5 hours and turn off leaving 1 6700k left to run for another hour then lights off for the night.
- I have pressurized co2 coming from a 5 lbs tank. Diffused by an atomic diffuser off green leaf. Very good diffuser vs the cheap amazon glass ones. About 2 bubbles per second. Since my waters kh is so high (17 degrees) when I compare ph and kh to figure out my ppm of co2 the chart does not go that high but I think I'm near 30 ppm of co2.
- I am currently using Eco complete half of which I used from my previous try at a planted tank and about 1 1/2 bags of new Eco complete. I also put flourish root tabs in about once ever couple months.
- I run a rated 50g marine land HOB. A 55g rated marine land canister. I do run a small bag of peat in the canister to try and battle ph. How often should you change peat? Also do I need to use peat granulals or can I use peat from a gardening store as long as I wash it off well? Also I have heard of some people not using filter bads in there HOB and just using the bio-wheel? Good idea bad? Also have 2 koralia power heads. One running length wise in the back and one in the front.
- I don't know all scientific names but here it goes-
Red ludwigia- mine does not turn red this is one of my issues.
Red tiger lotus
Staurogyne repens- this i recently got. It is sustaining but has not grown to much. Had in tank only about a week.
Fish load is pretty light. Couple Cory's a beta and couple tetras nothing crazy. I'm more about getting my plants healthy before I go nuts on fish.
- I used an ei calculator and from there I have been trying to make adjustments as I see issues arise.
I use a scale and weigh out my ferts and mix them all separate into 700ml containers and dose 100 ml when I dose.
Kno3- 3x weekly mixing 7 grams in 700ml bottle
Khpo4- 3x weekly mixing 1.5 grams in 700ml bottle. Dose the same day as kno3
Chelated iron-3x weekly 4 grams in 700 ml bottle.
Planted+dsm+b- 3x weekly 8 grams in 700 ml bottle dose the same day as the iron.
On the seventh day I do a 50% water change doing a 50/50 mix of RO water to try and fight the hard water here in madison.
I also have caso4 but I do not dose this since my water is super hard.
Here are my current levels as of last night 2-9-13
Ph- 7.3 ( milwuakee ph pen)
Nitrate-10 ppm last dosed kno3 2-8-13 (API test kit)
Kh- 17 (API test kit)
Gh- 11 (API test kit)
I lost my ammonia test and my nitrite test.
When I look at my levels I feel like my gh is way to high? And nitrates seem to be good? What do you all try and keep your levels at?
So couple things I am having issues with. Looks to me and from the reading I have done I have a mg deficiency. Since I am getting holes in my leafs. Do you think I may have this because I use to much RO water and not enough tap. I think I saw I can use a type of salt to rid me of this problem? How do I go about dosing the salt?
Second issue and this is the one that drives me crazy... My plants do not change color as they grow closer to the aquarium. Only one I have seen do it is the blue hygro and it was super close to the top and turned red/purple and then algae took over so I trimmed it. My red ludwigia has never been red besides when I got it. I have done some reading on why plants turn color and came up with a lot of reasons so I don't think it's light I think I'm starving my plants and there not getting enough ferts? Maybe it's my sub straight is not rich enough in nutrients?
Third issue is just my plants have slowed down growing. And not pearling nearly as much as they used too. So I wanted to see what you guys think of the dosing and over all set up of the tank. If you have any input I would love to hear it. If you need more info I will do my best to supply it. Please excuse me for bad grammar and spelling issues.
Another thing what is the proper way to trim ludwigia. When I do it most of the time I cut and replant the stem the the rooted part that I thought would shoot side shoots just rots. Maybe it's to shaded or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Here is the tank as of today right before I do my water change. My apologies for a terrible picture.