Need Plant Advice - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Need Plant Advice

This is my first planted tank, and I am having problems with the plant, This is a 29gl newley cycled tank. I have about 10 plants currently they keep sprouting new stalks but the older leaves are brownish almost burnt looking. I talked to the owner at my lfs who has more plants then any other store in my area. He said that I should avoid using water conditioner because it is blocking the leaves receptors. He claims that he does not condition his water at the store at all. We are on the same city water grid so it is the same water for me as it is for him. However i am nervous about not using the conditioner even if I let the water sit out for a couple days in buckets. Any thoughts or suggestions to help get my plants flourishing? I would appreiciate it. Side note: parameters are all reading 0, water temp 80, running a T5 6700k. I have been using stresscoat+ for water conditioning and flourish (recomended by the lfs owner) for plant food.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Algae Grower
By "older leaves" are you referring to the leaves that were originally there when you got them from the store?

I learned this just recently from other uses of these forums with a similar problem that I had with my new Jungle Vals. The water parameters of two tanks are never exactly the same so some plants will "die-off" and regrow based on the water parameters of your tank. As long as you are seeing new growth, I believe you should be just fine. I also watch dustinsfishtanks youtube channel and he also talks about how new growth is a sign that the plant is doing just fine, even if there are a few melting leaves.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Thanks for the insight. Yes I do mean the original leaves from the
when I got the plants

Last edited by JS1221; 02-04-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Planted Member
My guess is that your lfs gets its plants from a farm and they are grown emersed. So now the plant is growing aquatic leafs and dropping the emersed ones. Or the lower leafs are not getting enought light? Just my thoughts so don't hold it to me!

I would like to hear what people have to say about the water conditioner. I have not heard anything like that before.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa
Some plants are more sensitive than others when transplanting. What you are seeing, more than likely, is the old leaves "melting." As long as you are providing good conditions for growth, new leaves should come up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode