10g Planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

10g Planted

Hey guy's long time lurker and I felt like I needed to join.

I have a 10g with 2x13 watt 6500k CFL'S.

I would like to make it a nice planted tank but keep my budget $50 or less. What can I do to become successful at doing so? What plant's, light, fert, etc. do i need and how much and how long should i do stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Nation

Welcome to TPT! As you have probably seen, its a great forum to be on

Unfortunately I have no experience with CFL's, but I assume this is going to be a low tech tank? What substrate are you using?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm open to suggestions, I'm going to redo the whole tank. I'm thinking eco complete to flora max.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Algae Grower

Aulono,
You have quite a bit of light there. 50 years ago I got my first 5 gal and shortly after two 10 gal tanks. It was easy then, because we did not have bright lights. Algae was pretty rare, and never aggressive like it is in hi tech systems. If you really want that much light, you will probably need either CO2 or Flourish Excel or its equivalent. Assuming you have plants, you will need ferts to support your lights, or once again you will have an algae farm. You should be fine if you research these topics some.
Good luck,
Dave
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Planted Member

10g Planted

CFLs work well two 12 watt ( 75w equivalent) work for best coverage. Sag and dwarf sag work well and will grow. A lot of plants will stay alive but won't grow hair grass will barely stay alive micro chain swords will do well all with no ferts this is just my experience. The best thing to do is find a package deal with many different plants and see what does well for you and your substrate I have tanks that something will grow well and others where it just dies also look into dirt with a gravel cap that is where I have the most success.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1239 View Post
CFLs work well two 12 watt ( 75w equivalent) work for best coverage. Sag and dwarf sag work well and will grow. A lot of plants will stay alive but won't grow hair grass will barely stay alive micro chain swords will do well all with no ferts this is just my experience. The best thing to do is find a package deal with many different plants and see what does well for you and your substrate I have tanks that something will grow well and others where it just dies also look into dirt with a gravel cap that is where I have the most success.
I've already gone that route, I've wasted so much $ on buying plant's and killing them. I guess what I really want is a list of plant's I can grow and what I else I need to make them grow to their full potential without using CO2 and not have an algae farm.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulonocara_Freak View Post
Hey guy's long time lurker and I felt like I needed to join.

I have a 10g with 2x13 watt 6500k CFL'S.

I would like to make it a nice planted tank but keep my budget $50 or less. What can I do to become successful at doing so? What plant's, light, fert, etc. do i need and how much and how long should i do stuff?
Hi Aulonocara,

Here is an example of what you are trying to do....10 gallon; 2X13 watt CFL; Safe-T-Sorb substrate (40#/$10 delivered); heater, hang on back filter, Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and Seachem Flourish Excel. Tank was set up 7/31/12 to breed Apistogramma cacatuoides 'Triple Red' and raise some Corydoras sterbai juvies. Plants include: Pogostemon erectus, Limnophila sp 'Wavy', Ludwigia sp 'Red', Nymphoides sp 'Taiwan', Hygrophila lancea, Pygmy chain sword (Helanthium tenellum), Cryptocorye wendtii 'Bronze', Staurogyne repens, Barclaya longifolia, and Bacopa salzmannii.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 02-04-2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: added add'l pic and species
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

High light, no CO2 is not easy. Low light, no CO2 is very possible for plants that are compatible.
Good luck
Dave
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:01 AM
Planted Member

10g Planted

Have you tried sag family of plants I can't kill them if I try. All stem plants are so touchy with me. Anubias nana grow well for me but slow they are under grow beam 500 led which is low light. Java fern under cfl do well but anubias and java fern should be attached to something. Val family does well to under any light condition it just grows differently. I don't use ferts at all but did buy them but too much of a hassle for me, I like my tanks on autopilot with just top offs and monthly 20% change
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Aulonocara,

Here is an example of what you are trying to do....10 gallon; 2X13 watt CFL; Safe-T-Sorb substrate (40#/$10 delivered); heater, hang on back filter, Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and Seachem Flourish Excel.
You pretty much hit it spot on, could you give me a list of those plant's?

No, I've not tried sag's. Are all of the sag family low light?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 AM
Planted Member

10g Planted

The post with the pics is great but I can't keep stems alive long term and I have saf-t-sorb in tanks and CFLs I have bought flourish but don't use it. That's just me. What they have and I have might not work for you. If everything you do turns to algae maybe you have a issue with your water high phosphates or is any sunlight hitting the tank. I have tanks in the basement that have no algae and tanks setup on the first floor setup the same way but by the window and have black, brown, hair and slime algae in spots it's about to get moved.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 AM
Planted Member

10g Planted

Sag does well in any light I have it in med light it stays around 8" but when I bought it it was like 13". I have heard low light makes them grow longer to reach the light but also the complete opposite
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
You pretty much hit it spot on, could you give me a list of those plant's?

No, I've not tried sag's. Are all of the sag family low light?
Added species list to above post and add'l pic.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The tank is next to a window but it never gets hit with direct sunlight.

I think I'm going to finish tearing the tank down then, get the substrate, ferts, and some plants in a week or two.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The tank is next to a window but it never gets hit with direct sunlight.

I think I'm going to finish tearing the tank down then, get the substrate, ferts, and some plants in a week or two.
Hi Aulonocara,

My tank in on our lower level with no direct or indirect sunlight. I run my 2X13 watt fixture 4.5 hours in the morning and 4.5 hours in the evening. Along with the Corys I have one small Siamese Algae eater and one Otocinclus in the tank as part of the cleaning crew.

Roy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode